Python Forum
Poll: Which IDE?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Thonny
0%
0 0%
Komodo
0%
0 0%
LiClipse
0%
0 0%
NetBeans
0%
0 0%
PyCharm
8.33%
1 8.33%
KDevelop
8.33%
1 8.33%
PyDev
0%
0 0%
Wing
0%
0 0%
PyScripter
0%
0 0%
Spyder
0%
0 0%
Anaconda
0%
0 0%
IDLE
0%
0 0%
Pyzo
0%
0 0%
PythonToolKit
0%
0 0%
PyStudio
0%
0 0%
Visual Python
0%
0 0%
VS Code
33.33%
4 33.33%
Vim/Emacs
33.33%
4 33.33%
Geany
8.33%
1 8.33%
Sublime Text
8.33%
1 8.33%
Total 12 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What is the best IDE
Quote:Alfalfa wrote:
It is not an IDE, but IMO vim is well worth the painful learning curve :)
And how about emacs?
Used, loved it, for many years. Considering when it was written (March 85), it's an outstanding 'IDE' though technically an 'C' extension language.
(Jan-20-2019, 05:52 PM)Larz60+ Wrote:
Quote:Alfalfa wrote: It is not an IDE, but IMO vim is well worth the painful learning curve :)
And how about emacs? Used, loved it, for many years. Considering when it was written (March 85), it's an outstanding 'IDE' though technically an 'C' extension language.
i put emacs and vim on the same one to avoid the vim/emacs war
Recommended Tutorials:
(Jan-20-2019, 10:16 PM)metulburr Wrote: i put emacs and vim on the same one to avoid the vim/emacs war
The Editor war has faded,putting Emac and Vim together in the 90's you may have needed Police protection Pray
Or maybe they kind of like each other,but not others.
[Image: 0*gMfQ_JyRPQ81Vq-J.]
Vi? Hold your tongue!

** EDIT **

Actually I still use it for quick changes, and remember all of the commands.
I used vi for a long time, but it was around for 9 years before emacs!
Now I don't use vim, and don't know what was added to vi to create vim, i think it was the m!
If you like vim or emacs, what are you doing on a web forum? Shouldn't you be on Usenet? Or dialing in to a BBS somewhere?

Wink
Craig "Ichabod" O'Brien - xenomind.com
I wish you happiness.
Recommended Tutorials: BBCode, functions, classes, text adventures
Been there at 150 baud from home, but we had a microwave (dish) link to MIT (around 1986) at work! didn't have web back then, only Archie and gopher.
What about geany? I've used it for HTML and JavaScript before and it worked great. I'm not sure if it has a compiler for python though.
(Jan-22-2019, 02:57 PM)Trinx Wrote: What about geany?
added, i use geany if i want a GUI one
Recommended Tutorials:
I downloaded KDevelop, VSCode and vim (I already have geany). I'm going to try those and see which one I prefer, thanks for the suggestions (Once I've tried them, I'll post my favorite on here).
(Jan-22-2019, 03:30 PM)Trinx Wrote: I downloaded KDevelop, VSCode and vim (I already have geany). I'm going to try those and see which one I prefer, thanks for the suggestions (Once I've tried them, I'll post my favorite on here).

Vim takes some time and effort to love, but one great thing I like about it is the wide possibilities of customization. Ie, I made this script to launch the main __init__.py of your git repo, from whatever file of that repo you are working on. So in this case you can just type ,r and it will run your app in a terminal.