Python Forum
Where to improve my application?
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Where to improve my application?
Ok, so I've been browsing the web and there appear to be a ton of places where you can post a specific coding problem, address the efforts you've already made to solve it, and ask for help. 

My question however has another focus: I am an autodidact and have just recently started coding. I have written a GUI-program in Python (using tkinter) which is fully functioning at the moment. I've turned it into a standalone app for my Mac via py2app. That also worked. Furthermore, I have reviewed my own code using pylint and committed a lot of changes so that my code now scores about 8.5 out of 10. 

I would love to opensource the application, but would require some help in the process. 

For example, given the fact that I am an autodidact I am sure that there are still a lot of potential 'wrongs' in my working code. I'm quite sure, for someone more knowledgable, the code might well fire some alarm bells and many things might need to be rearranged in a more Pythonic and/or macOS compliant way. 

So, I am not looking for some straight-forward problem solving forum. I am looking for a place where I can share my code with its many imperfections without being bashed for it and where people more knowledgable might be willing and able to help bring the application up to a higher standard so that we might at one point be able to publish it on Github and see where it leads...

So, my question is: where would I find such a place?

-----

About the program I've written:
It is a program like ccleaner for macOS. I thought that would be fun since I wasn't able to find a fully functioning (fully) open source equivalent to that program for macOS (there is Bleachbit for Mac, but it isn't really functioning yet). 

Yet, even if such a program does indeed exist already; it is still a good way to practice and learn my way around Python & tkinter.
Most people post their code on GitHub. Don't worry about being bashed, there are several millions projects on GitHub, you'll most likely remain completely ignored :)
Unless noted otherwise, code in my posts should be understood as "coding suggestions", and its use may require more neurones than the two necessary for Ctrl-C/Ctrl-V.
Your one-stop place for all your GIMP needs: gimp-forum.net
I'd use github too but don't know how it works  Big Grin
"As they say in Mexico 'dosvidaniya'. That makes two vidaniyas."
https://freedns.afraid.org
(Jan-30-2017, 12:13 PM)wavic Wrote: I'd use github too but don't know how it works Big Grin

Start at the home page and follow the links. Plenty of reading....
Unless noted otherwise, code in my posts should be understood as "coding suggestions", and its use may require more neurones than the two necessary for Ctrl-C/Ctrl-V.
I just recently learned git for a large project I'm working on. I used the Git Book to figure it out.
Craig "Ichabod" O'Brien - xenomind.com
I wish you happiness.
Recommended Tutorials: BBCode, functions, classes, text adventures
BitBucket is also okay.
BitBucket you can create an unlimited number of private repositories.
So if want a fancy Dropbox go with Bitbucket.
Both work the same,using Git as communication.
(Jan-30-2017, 10:39 AM)Sjoerd Wrote: I am looking for a place where I can share my code with its many imperfections without being bashed for it and where people more knowledgable might be willing and able to help bring the application up to a higher standard

Besides the where-to-host-my-code part of the question, which has many possible answers, you can always link to there from anywhere. More interesting seems the where-to-find-help-without-bashing part of your question.

Indeed, harsh critic can seem so, but is seldom meant that way. The critics most often pertain to your code not you as a person. As they have seen many same mistakes done before, they get brief and concise in their wordings, which may be misunderstood as cruel. You can find more answers on how to deal with this all in the recommended essay "How to ask questions the smart way"

Then again, this forum and others (some more than others) can not only be used for help on small code snippets, but also on larger applications, which you should then link to if hosted in other places, as mentioned above. So you need to host in only one space and not copy-and-paste every small change to all other places.

Only thing, keep in mind, you are relying on the help of individuals granted for free, so your expectations may differ
I don't think any of us has the time to explain all that is wrong in any significant piece of code written by a beginner :)

A good coder much achieve some level of self-criticism, enough to make good code, not enough to discourage him/herself (all code has its shitty parts...). It comes with experience, by reading other people's code (and recognizing the good ones), and reading some good books on the subject (I recommend this one).
Quote:people more knowledgable might be willing and able to help bring the application up to a higher standard so that we might at one point be able to publish it on Github and see where it leads...

I started with github by just wanting to post my code for public. I didnt care about all the fancy stuff like branches, merging, etc. I didnt do anything for a long time other than just uploading code to github. (git init, git add ., git commit -m "my update comment", git push origin master)...and thats all i knew for awhile. 

Github isnt meant to publish your final code and be done with it. It is meant to publish your rough draft and morph into your final code (Which is really never). This can be with or without the help of other people. But that is the benefit of it, you can have other people join in (in both a lot of effort, or just changing a line or two). And this goes on throughout coding. I now purposely start from scratch on github, as it keeps a record of my updates. I want to get my code on github ASAP. 

You will very rarely (if ever) see any one post on your code as there are so many on github. To have someone look at it, you would have to post the link to your repo at a place like this. Even then, most people wont bother. But the alternative is no one if you dont have a repo. 

No one really bashes people for their code. At least not here. All programmers start at the beginning "hello world" program and work their way up. Everyone more knowledgeable than you have already been in your shoes and knows the situation, the hurdles they had to overcome. They didnt get bashed for it, and they wont bash you for it either. 

Years after uploading a project, every so often ill have someone come along and post a pull request (a potential change) for a single line change or so on my code. Most often i allow it as they are legit and something i overlooked, or did not know. Ive also got a lot of requests from github, where people asked for a feature, and gave me ideas on things to add to my programs. 

I made a tutorial to upload code to github using git. This is solely on the terminal, so if your on a mac, it should be similar. This was meant for people who have numerous files or resources that post their code on this forum, to show them how to upload their code instead to github. At this point you can at least have a project up to show others, and then you can extend your knowledge on git with things like merging, branches, and pull requests, etc. 

There is also a real nice interactive tutorial that gives you the basics
Recommended Tutorials: