Python Forum
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Which Python Version?
Greetings,

I want to know which Python version most people are running? I was running 3.9 but had some errors when installing things like bpython.

Please let me know.
Matt
Since 2013 when I first started using python in earnest, I have used the most recent version available. I am currently using 3.9.1

However not all packages will run under the latest version, so I use pyenv and virtual environments, that way each project will have it's own python version, and switching is done automatically when the virtual environment is activated.

If you are interested in using this approach, see: python version management
I read it over. I am dual booting Windows 10 and Manjaro. Is this possible to do on a Windows machine?

(Jan-15-2021, 09:55 PM)Larz60+ Wrote: Since 2013 when I first started using python in earnest, I have used the most recent version available. I am currently using 3.9.1

However not all packages will run under the latest version, so I use pyenv and virtual environments, that way each project will have it's own python version, and switching is done automatically when the virtual environment is activated.

If you are interested in using this approach, see: python version management
I've used Linux for so long that I didn't consider Microsoft.
I found this on GitHub (I don't use windows very often, so can't vouch for it).
https://github.com/pyenv-win/pyenv-win
I would love to switch to Linux exclusively but some programs that I like will not run. Wine doesn't cut it.
The main reason is, I am a laptop guy and no matter how hard I try; I cannot get my touch pad to work like it does on Windows. It's all over the place. I've used the Synaptic drivers and libinput. There is also no "momentum" feature on Linux. Meaning, if I just brush the touch pad, the cursor keeps moving. This is the main reason why I can't change. Sure, I could use a mouse but, I sit in a chair that is comfortable and a mouse isn't practical. However - I'm sure I could adapt.

I am running Manjaro Gnome. What are you running?

Maybe I will just run a Vagrant box on my Windows machine to install all of the version of Python that I need. If I remember correctly, when I used Vagrant, I could actually use a Windows editor in combination with Vagrant. But, right now - I just want to use command line as I learn. The most elaborate IDE I will use while I learn is Thonny. Down the road; maybe VS or PyCharm.

(Jan-16-2021, 04:26 PM)Larz60+ Wrote: I've used Linux for so long that I didn't consider Microsoft.
(Jan-17-2021, 02:02 PM)muzikman Wrote: The main reason is, I am a laptop guy and no matter how hard I try; I cannot get my touch pad to work like it does on Windows.

Maybe you could consider changing your habits and stop/reduce the usage of touch pad? Basically the only time I need pointing device is web browsing to click on links on the webpage (navigating with keys is too time consuming and clumsy). Other than that I do/try to do everything/majority from keyboard (and yes, I am 'laptop guy' as well; on Mac though).
I'm not 'in'-sane. Indeed, I am so far 'out' of sane that you appear a tiny blip on the distant coast of sanity. Bucky Katt, Get Fuzzy

Da Bishop: There's a dead bishop on the landing. I don't know who keeps bringing them in here. ....but society is to blame.
I found this blog.

I know that's not windows, but might be something that you can adjust for your purposes.

It's about making the touchpad function like a Macbook pro.

Article: https://bill.harding.blog/2017/12/27/tow...cbook-pro/
I hear you. On Windows, I know all the shortcuts. I don't use my touchpad, like you said, to click a link. Sometimes I will even use my tab key but most developers to have the tab order set in their processed HTML.

Maybe I will learn all of the shortcuts. Thanks for the feedback.

(Jan-17-2021, 02:02 PM)muzikman Wrote: I would love to switch to Linux exclusively but some programs that I like will not run. Wine doesn't cut it.
The main reason is, I am a laptop guy and no matter how hard I try; I cannot get my touch pad to work like it does on Windows. It's all over the place. I've used the Synaptic drivers and libinput. There is also no "momentum" feature on Linux. Meaning, if I just brush the touch pad, the cursor keeps moving. This is the main reason why I can't change. Sure, I could use a mouse but, I sit in a chair that is comfortable and a mouse isn't practical. However - I'm sure I could adapt.

I am running Manjaro Gnome. What are you running?

Maybe I will just run a Vagrant box on my Windows machine to install all of the version of Python that I need. If I remember correctly, when I used Vagrant, I could actually use a Windows editor in combination with Vagrant. But, right now - I just want to use command line as I learn. The most elaborate IDE I will use while I learn is Thonny. Down the road; maybe VS or PyCharm.

(Jan-16-2021, 04:26 PM)Larz60+ Wrote: I've used Linux for so long that I didn't consider Microsoft.
Which distro do you run?

(Jan-17-2021, 04:04 PM)perfringo Wrote:
(Jan-17-2021, 02:02 PM)muzikman Wrote: The main reason is, I am a laptop guy and no matter how hard I try; I cannot get my touch pad to work like it does on Windows.

Maybe you could consider changing your habits and stop/reduce the usage of touch pad? Basically the only time I need pointing device is web browsing to click on links on the webpage (navigating with keys is too time consuming and clumsy). Other than that I do/try to do everything/majority from keyboard (and yes, I am 'laptop guy' as well; on Mac though).
I have another laptop that can only run distros like Elementary. It is a piece of junk. Celeron, 4GM Ran. No SSD.

My favorite distro is Manjaro with the Deepin desktop. They stopped supporting Deepin. I like KDE a lot and my main laptop runs it very well. The touch pad is terrible.

I should take the time to learn the shortcuts. I have been computing for 30 years. I took the time to learn them in Windblows but not across linux distros.

I hate Windows. Linux is no nonsense. Simple firewall and backup with TimeShift. The windows updates keep overwriting my restore points and it is loaded with bloatware.

I am just stuck on the DE. I switch from Gnome to KDE, the Mint. I hate using CSS to customize the scroll bars in Gnome based systems. It's a pain.

I can't even decide on a window manager.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Query on choosing Python 3.8.6 version sureshnagarajan 0 1,805 Feb-16-2021, 05:30 AM
Last Post: sureshnagarajan
  Python/winrt support for python 3.8 version pbvinoth 2 3,691 Jul-08-2020, 02:03 PM
Last Post: snippsat
  Issue with 2 version of python (2.6.6 and 2.7) with pip himupant94 2 3,231 Apr-24-2020, 03:23 AM
Last Post: himupant94
  Default python version on Windows (3.6.x vs 3.6.y) gramakri 1 2,454 May-04-2019, 10:36 PM
  Old Python-version used by IDLE GeNoS 7 4,218 Apr-13-2019, 08:04 PM
Last Post: Gribouillis
  Trouble installing a old version of python - 3.4.1 alex8obrien 2 2,782 Apr-09-2019, 06:28 AM
Last Post: alex8obrien
  a special version of the python command Skaperen 6 4,141 Apr-06-2019, 02:25 PM
Last Post: Gribouillis
  Distributing custom version of Python touc82 1 2,086 Mar-23-2019, 03:23 PM
Last Post: Larz60+
  Understanding Python version releases venami 3 3,111 Aug-24-2018, 09:56 PM
Last Post: venami
  Updating Python on Mac OS X (version 10.12.6) dl423 2 4,703 Jul-26-2018, 09:30 PM