Python Forum
Which version of python goes well with tkinter?
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Which version of python goes well with tkinter?
I would not recommend wxpython for python 2.7, it's no longer maintained

What I would suggest is to upgrade now to python 3.6.3 and use the phoenix version (come back to the future)

Other GUI packages will soon abandon maintaing anything less than python 3 soon, if they haven't already done so.
(Dec-16-2017, 07:48 PM)Larz60+ Wrote: I would not recommend wxpython for python 2.7, it's no longer maintained

What I would suggest is to upgrade now to python 3.6.3 and use the phoenix version (come back to the future)

Other GUI packages will soon abandon maintaing anything less than python 3 soon, if they haven't already done so.

I don't use 2.7 now. I used to some time back. I have been using 3.5.2 for some time but as my earlier post showed I now have 3.6.3 working so I will use that. I still use os rather than subprocess but I suppose I should try to get my head round using it now. So far not always been able to figure how to actually get the syntax right. Maybe that's because i'm dense now i'm 74 Rolleyes
I think you said you were running Linux, I found this:
Quote:There are also snapshot builds available for a few of the common Linux
distributions, located under the following folder:

https://wxpython.org/Phoenix/snapshot-builds/linux/

But they look too old (last Feburary (maybe not), and Phoenix just came out a few months back).
I have been away from Linux for over a year, so am rusty, but curious as to how you installed.
Did you use apt or yum, or install from the tar file?
If you look at post #10 you will see I installed it via pip3
also I have just done this:
python3
Python 3.6.3 (default, Oct  6 2017, 08:44:35) 
[GCC 5.4.0 20160609] on linux
Type "help", "copyright", "credits" or "license" for more information.
>>> import wx
>>> wx
<module 'wx' from '/usr/local/lib/python3.6/dist-packages/wx/__init__.py'>
>>> 
So not being anything like an expert I think it shows it's probably the latest version
you will want access to the demo program, it has a plethora of examples for all, or close to all, wxpython widgets,
I just posted info on how to access this here: https://python-forum.io/Thread-WxPython-...ng-of-time
Thanks, i've extracted it.
(Dec-16-2017, 07:40 PM)Barrowman Wrote: In an earlier post I said I did the following:
cd /usr/bin
sudo rm python3
sudo ln -s python3 python3.6
sudo pip3 install wxpython
That has fixed it. Be aware that the install takes a while - about 15 minutes on my 2.8GHz processor with 16 Gig ram
But it has had a bad effect overall to my system as most things would no longer work. I am guessing this has to be something with an incompatibility with them and 3.6 because after a reboot I had to get into a virtual terminal to put it back and everything was back to normal.
Not having any success with wxpython phoenix. demo.py wont run. It complains that wx isn't installed. The README files suggest running python but that is linked to 2.7x so i have been running python3 but still not getting anywhere.
Just did it again but here is what I got
python3.6 ./demo.py
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "./demo.py", line 3, in <module>
    import Main
  File "/home/norman/programming/python/wxpython/wxPython-4.0.0b2/demo/Main.py", line 61, in <module>
    import wx
ModuleNotFoundError: No module named 'wx'
I have tried using pip3 and I have version 9.0.1 installed but the script still fails and tells me I am running pip version 8.1.1
Quote:Command "/usr/bin/python3 -u -c "import setuptools, tokenize;__file__='/tmp/pip-build-hde6hd9b/wxPython/setup.py';exec(compile(getattr(tokenize, 'open', open)(__file__).read().replace('\r\n', '\n'), __file__, 'exec'))" install --record /tmp/pip-930y_3pe-record/install-record.txt --single-version-externally-managed --compile" failed with error code 1 in /tmp/pip-build-hde6hd9b/wxPython/
You are using pip version 8.1.1, however version 9.0.1 is available.
You should consider upgrading via the 'pip install --upgrade pip' command.
I think I will just stick with tkinter until I can install from the repositories.
Well I decided I would have one more try at installing wxpython Phoenix and came across this page
https://wxpython.org/pages/downloads/index.html
and this worked for my Linux Mint 18.2
sudo -H pip3 install -U -f https://extras.wxpython.org/wxPython4/extras/linux/gtk3/ubuntu-16.04     wxPython
So at last I can run the demo and start working out how to use it
Good! Glad to hear it.