Python Forum
Why is this function printing the number of keys in a dictionary?
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why is this function printing the number of keys in a dictionary?
This is a HOMEWORK problem, that I am struggling with and want to understand.

We are asked to create a function that will take in a dictionary and return the list in ascending order, either alphabetically or numerically.

This is my code:
def dictKeysOnly (dictionary):
    lst = [dictionary]
    lst = sorted(lst)
    return (lst)
print("List in ascending order: ",sorted(dictionary))
Here is what I get when run the function. I know I don't have an input, but usually it just gives a blank box (I'm running this in Jupiter Lab just to test it). Then I'll run it with an input to test the outcome.
Output:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------- NameError Traceback (most recent call last) <ipython-input-8-3c0c43693ca8> in <module> 3 lst = sorted(lst) 4 return (lst) ----> 5 print("List in ascending order: ",sorted(dictionary)) NameError: name 'dictionary' is not defined
I usually miss something when I make a function because it's not always super clear to me, but could someone explain how I define my dictionary input. Also why isn't me inputting 'dictionary' in the function defining it as a parameter?
Can't tell from your code because it isn't formatted, but it looks like dictionary is only declared within the function, so is not defined anywhere outside the function. i.e. for the print statement. Also, the function is never called and so will never execute, and there is no reason to sort the list as it has only one item, a dictionary.
(Sep-16-2019, 08:13 PM)woooee Wrote: Can't tell from your code because it isn't formatted, but it looks like dictionary is only declared within the function, so is not defined anywhere outside the function. i.e. for the print statement. Also, the function is never called and so will never execute, and there is no reason to sort the list as it has only one item, a dictionary.

My bad, didn't even notice. Here it is:

>>>lst = [{dictionary}]
>>>lst = sorted(lst)
>>>return (lst)
>>>print("List in ascending order: ",sorted(dictionary))

Edit: I'm not sure how to indent, but everything under the function is indented once.

When I try to call the function, here is what I get back.

dictKeysOnly({"kelly","amber","sophia","henry","zak"})

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
TypeError Traceback (most recent call last)
<ipython-input-4-25723a87e72e> in <module>
----> 1 dictKeysOnly({"kelly","amber","sophia","henry","zak"})

<ipython-input-3-93a6185952c3> in dictKeysOnly(dictionary)
1 def dictKeysOnly (dictionary):
----> 2 lst = [{dictionary}]
3 lst = sorted(lst)
4 return (lst)
5 print("List in ascending order: ",sorted(dictionary))

TypeError: unhashable type: 'set'

What do you mean by it's not defined outside the function, and how would I fix that? And how would I give it a reason to sort the list.
For posting on the forum, use the
 tags to present your code with syntax highlighting. It makes things much easier.

As for issues with your code, line 5 is on the same level as the return in the function. As a result, the interpreter is evidently evaluating that line outside of the function scope.

In

dictKeysOnly({"kelly","amber","sophia","henry","zak"})
That is a set, not a dictionary. You can convert a set to a list with list().

lst = list(dictionary)
    return sorted(lst)
For a dictionary, you can just use dict.keys() to get a list of the keys.
Quote:1 def dictKeysOnly (dictionary):
----> 2 lst = [{dictionary}]
3 lst = sorted(lst)
4 return (lst)
5 print("List in ascending order: ",sorted(dictionary))
This is different from the first code you posted, and as such shows a different error message. Note that the print statement will never be reached if is is indeed under the def.
Quote:What do you mean by it's not defined outside the function
The original message "NameError: name 'dictionary' is not defined" which was likely caused by the print statement not being indented under the function def.
(Sep-16-2019, 07:20 PM)mafr97 Wrote: We are asked to create a function that will take in a dictionary and return the list in ascending order, either alphabetically or numerically.

What does mean 'return list in ascending order'? List of keys? List of values? List of key-value pairs?

One don't need complicated conversions, dictionary keys can be sorted just like sorted(d), if values needed to be sorted then sorted(d.values()) and to sort list of key-value tuples sorted(d.items()). Sorted function always returns list.
I'm not 'in'-sane. Indeed, I am so far 'out' of sane that you appear a tiny blip on the distant coast of sanity. Bucky Katt, Get Fuzzy

Da Bishop: There's a dead bishop on the landing. I don't know who keeps bringing them in here. ....but society is to blame.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  create empty sets for keys in a dictionary and add values to the set naughtysensei 1 2,477 Nov-03-2020, 08:32 AM
Last Post: DeaD_EyE
  get method within max function for a dictionary Blanchdog 3 1,842 Jul-03-2020, 05:55 PM
Last Post: ndc85430
  How to use value in dictionary as arguments in function gabejohnsonny21 6 3,654 Apr-22-2020, 04:53 PM
Last Post: deanhystad
  Printing a number sequence not working properly deepsen 6 2,942 Oct-12-2019, 07:43 PM
Last Post: deepsen
  printing data from dictionary kiki1113 4 39,124 Nov-20-2017, 04:43 PM
Last Post: heiner55