Python Forum
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wifi Camera Connection
Problem: Need to send commands to camera (akaso brave 7 le) over wifi to have camera take pictures and send pictures back to computer.

Background: I'm setting up a crude character recognition program and also using it for a few other simple things. Basically. The tkinter gui takes in a photo from the connected camera every n seconds and processes to give the desired string of data. I first starting by using an old android phone, installed ipcam (i believe was the name of the app) and captured a new picture using 192.168.137.1:8080/photo.jpg. This worked great. But problems with the phone relegate it to just being a starting point. I need something that people recognize as being only a camera (people are weird in my industry, they'll allow cameras in to areas that they wont allow phones). So I got the new gopro hero 9. And it worked, sorta. same method as before with the ip and it would take a picture. But the wifi signal seemed to need constant validation from the mobile app so the gopro would turn off its wifi after a few seconds. So i found an action camera that allowed the wifi to stay on constantly. enter the akaso brave 7. It has an associated app (akaso go) which has a live preview and a photo capturing and acquisition method. It also has a remote that works over wifi to capture photo and video. My proble is i have no idea what command for the python script to send to the camera for it to capture and receive the photo.

What i've tried: a packet sniffer on my phone while using the mobile app. However it does seem like the sniffer recognizes the wifi from the camera as an actual network as it hasnt shown anything yet. This is most likely due to my lack of knowledge.

What i've thought about: running android on the raspberry pi and seeing if i can somehow recognize the command that the app is sending. or, somehow deconstructing the apk from the android app to see what the code looks like.

Most of this stuff i've talked about i know little to nothing about, so go easy on me. I appreciate any help you could offer. Be it other cameras that would work (i've thought about getting just an ip camera, but i really like the 20mp images from the action cameras, 8mp max on ip cams ive seen. ), or a completely different method.
you should be able to find something suitable here: https://pypi.org/search/?q=wifi+%2B+camera
you'll need to do the research.
(Oct-02-2020, 04:53 PM)Larz60+ Wrote: you should be able to find something suitable here: https://pypi.org/search/?q=wifi+%2B+camera
you'll need to do the research.

I've been looking through this. But I think I'm one step before this. I first either need a method to determine how the app interfaces with the camera, or a script that could ask the commands of the camera (something like rest?)

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Get image from PI camera and analyze it korenron 0 1,124 Apr-28-2022, 06:49 AM
Last Post: korenron
  Create RTSP stream from camera? korenron 1 3,185 Jan-04-2022, 10:38 AM
Last Post: Larz60+
  Serial connection connection issue Joni_Engr 15 7,830 Aug-30-2021, 04:46 PM
Last Post: deanhystad
  How to get OpenCV to display entire camera frame? George713 1 3,207 Aug-12-2021, 02:45 AM
Last Post: Pedroski55
  arduino and colaboratory with wifi rithikreddypalla 0 1,653 May-22-2021, 06:21 AM
Last Post: rithikreddypalla
  mapping-camera-coordinates-to-a-2d-floor-plan fauveboyxuuki 0 2,493 Dec-10-2019, 10:34 PM
Last Post: fauveboyxuuki
  Controling a Canon dslr camera on Windows Leon 16 18,741 Nov-22-2019, 09:12 PM
Last Post: Larz60+
  New to Python, help with saving image from camera tantony 2 3,781 Sep-13-2019, 05:19 PM
Last Post: tantony
  pi camera stream is upside down delta1071 3 5,682 Sep-11-2019, 11:35 AM
Last Post: metulburr
  WiFi communication Milad 2 2,418 Sep-07-2019, 11:53 AM
Last Post: ndc85430