Python Forum
Windows/Power Shell: Differences from the tutorial...
Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Windows/Power Shell: Differences from the tutorial...
I remember PowerShell since my XP days. I've installed it and have tried to run it. I was waiting for something to happens for minutes. Just to open a window. After that I deleted the package. I hope it's different now.
"As they say in Mexico 'dosvidaniya'. That makes two vidaniyas."
https://freedns.afraid.org
Quote:Hey, thanks for your replies.

The error message is in German, but it's something like "The parameter can not be processed, because the parameter name "p" is not unambiguous. Possible matches:-Path -PipelineVariable -LiteralPath.

help mkdir and help rmdir don't show the argument -p, but they do show -path. Typing this seems to be superfluous though.

PS was running in restricted mode, but setting it to unrestricted doesn't seem to have changed anything, so I guess I'll change it back. How do I check if Command Extensions are on?

Also, in both cmd.exe and PS, / is automatically converted to \. Is there any reason to stick to only typing /?

From the start menu- select run (or use Win key R)
Type "regedit"
Navigate to:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Command Processor

You should have an entry "EnableExtensions" with a Data value of 1, if it is 0, right click on the "EnableExtensions", select "Modify" and change the value data to 1, then click OK, then close regedit.

Imho, despite what the author says, I would NOT use PowerShell for running or creating your Python code (or C, C++, Fortran, or anything other than PS). It is not designed for that, plain and simple. PowerShell is, basically, it's own scripting language and is designed to work specifically with Windows.

I don't know why the author is even broaching this subject, since you will never make a direct call to a command like "mkdir" without using a library like "subcommand".

If your new to Python, I would recommend trying several of the excellent IDE's out there (a good place to start is here  Python IDE's) and pick one that you feel comfortable with. 

Quote:Also, in both cmd.exe and PS, / is automatically converted to \. Is there any reason to stick to only typing /?

Python likes "/"  :)
If it ain't broke, I just haven't gotten to it yet.
OS: Windows 10, openSuse 42.3, freeBSD 11, Raspian "Stretch"
Python 3.6.5, IDE: PyCharm 2018 Community Edition
(Oct-09-2016, 07:10 PM)snippsat Wrote: Yep more about learning basic command line stuff,
and Powershell(not fan of it) only comes up because "Learn Python the Hard Way" use it.
There is many thing i don't like about LPTHW,but not gone take it here.

As mention use cmder,then you have a shell which is closer to shell on Linux.
cmder fit Python and tools needed much better.
You can use many Linux commands and git,ssh,cat..ect work out of the box.

Please take it here:

http://python-forum.io/Thread-What-s-wro...t-s-better

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Huge black friday power supply sale at EVGA Larz60+ 0 2,072 Nov-21-2018, 08:06 PM
Last Post: Larz60+
  differences between py2 and py3 Skaperen 4 4,346 Feb-10-2018, 09:16 AM
Last Post: Skaperen