Python Forum
Worth learning QT to make GUIs for Python?
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Worth learning QT to make GUIs for Python?
If you're read my other posts, you know I'm new to Python and am busy studying up so that I can re-write some software that I wrote some years back in Visual BASIC 6.  I'm making some good progress in my first Python book, "Python Crash Course" by Eric Matthes.  The book is well written and contains good coding info.  Unfortunately, it would appear it does not contain information on creating GUIs via tkinter, so I've been looking up info elsewhere. 

In my search, I have found that it's possible to also create GUIs via other means such as QT, which can also make GUIs for other languages like C++.  That makes me wonder if it may also be worth my while to invest time and resources in learning to make GUIs via QT.  Perhaps it offers some abilities that Tkinter doesn't have.  Perhaps there are additional controls that can go into a QT-based GUI that are not offered by Tkinter.  If anyone out there has made GUIs with both (or with some other method) and has any insight, I would be grateful for your feedback.
Qt is in my opinion, is a very good GUI if you really want to get fancy, that being said,
the built in GUI library (tkinter) is good for most applications (see my github account for
some examples as all are done with tkinter) https://github.com/Larz60p
(Apr-23-2017, 03:24 AM)Larz60+ Wrote: Qt is in my opinion, is a very good .... [snip] all are done with tkinter) https://github.com/Larz60p

Thanks for your reply.  I'll check out all your samples now.  Appreciate it.
Qt5 is a very nice toolkit and one of its advantages is the ability to rapidly design your GUIs using Qt Designer and converting your forms into Python scripts automatically. The process is similar to Vb6 RAD but a bit more cumbersome. Qt has a learning curve, but if you have used VB6 for RAD I think you will have no problems (like, in Qt events are called signals and event handlers slots etc.) . last time I checked there were some licencing issues with PyQt5 commercial usage, so you might look into that too.
PySide is back in development and is now being properly supported by The Qt Company. Unfortunately the forum wont let me post a link so hopefully this will suffice:

wiki dot qt dot io slash PySide2

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Is CTkDesigner worth the price? Edward_ 1 125 Mar-25-2024, 05:08 PM
Last Post: Axel_Erfurt
  [PyGUI] GUIS Gibbse16 1 16,545 Mar-20-2021, 09:43 PM
Last Post: deanhystad
  tkInter and Pillow don't display any images in GUIs - program gives errors instead SomeRandomGuy 9 10,608 Oct-29-2019, 02:57 PM
Last Post: SomeRandomGuy