Python Forum
Write function to find decryptionkey
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Write function to find decryptionkey
I have the following assignment:

[inline]Say we have a random string containing only small letters. Then we have a key that encrypts the string.
An example of such a key could be for example (but it could be other keys as well):

a becomes q, b becomes w, c becomes e, so the letters ordered like the english alphabet get changed by the key like the order of a qwerty keyboard.

Now I need to write a function such that the key given as argument key in the function gives as output the decryption key. By using the decryption key, the encrypted string changes back into its orginal string.
Two examples of keys with decryption keys:

(1)
key = "badcfehgjilknmporqtsvuxwzy"
decryption key = "badcfehgjilknmporqtsvuxwzy"

(2)
key = qwertyuiopasdfghjklzxcvbnm
decryption key = kxvmcnophqrszyijadlegwbuft
[/inline]

I've tried to come up with a function, but whatever I try I always get the wrong output. This is currently my function (function IsLetter just checks if every character in the key is a letter):

def DecryptionKey(key):
    array1 = list(range(0, 26))
    array2 = []
    for i in key:
        if IsLetter(i):
            number = ord(i) - 97
            array2.append(number)
    array3 = [x - y for x, y in zip(array1, array2)]
    array4 = [-x for x in array3]
    array5 = [x + y for x,y in zip(array1, array4)]
    text = ''
    for i in array5:
        text += key[i]
    return text

But my output for the two examples given above is:

Output:
abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz jvtkznxoghqlryuipasmbecwfd
Edit: The problem is that I don't know how to solve this 'puzzle'. I think I am missing some logical steps. Anyone who has an idea? All help is appreciated.
for start - post the text of your assignment verbatim. From your explanations is not clear
If you can't explain it to a six year old, you don't understand it yourself, Albert Einstein
How to Ask Questions The Smart Way: link and another link
Create MCV example
Debug small programs

Assignment: Implement the function DecryptionKey(key). This function returns new_key created from the encryption key stored in key. The new key must be the key used to decrypt a text that was encrypted using key. So, when new_text = ConvertText(text, key) was used to encrypt text, then text = ConverText(new_text, new_key) can be used to decrypt new_test. Test this function.

This is the assignment, I hope things are clearer now, if not, let me know.

Now I have the following function:

def DecryptionKey(key):
    array1 = list(range(0, 26))
    Dekey = ""
    array2 = []
    for i in key:
        number = ord(i) - 97
        lijst2.append(number)
    array3 = list(zip(array1, lijst2))

return array3
With output:

Output:
[(0, 16), (1, 22), (2, 4), (3, 17), (4, 19), (5, 24), (6, 20), (7, 8), (8, 14), (9, 15), (10, 0), (11, 18), (12, 3), (13, 5), (14, 6), (15, 7), (16, 9), (17, 10), (18, 11), (19, 25), (20, 23), (21, 2), (22, 21), (23, 1), (24, 13), (25, 12)]
So we have for example in the current list a tuple (0, 16). But I want a new list that has the same tuples but now (16, 9), since we have tuples (0, 16) and (16, 9) in the current list. Another example: In the current list there is a tuple (10, 0), but in the new list I want a tuple (0, 16), since in the current list we have the tuples (0, 16) and (10, 0). Anyone any idea how I could do this?

If I could create such new array in the function than I think I solved the problem
Why are you using ord() to try to find the corresponding character? As far as I know, there's no association on the qwerty keyboard that's like that.

I think it'd be easier (to write, and to understand), to have two strings, one that's a-z, and the other that's qwerty (q-m). Then finding the key is as easy as looking up the index from one string and applying it to the other string.

So, something like:
def build_key(seed):
    alpha = 'abcdefg'
    shifted = 'qwertyu'
    key = []
    for character in seed:
        index = alpha.find(character)
        key.append(shifted[index])
    return "".join(key)

print(build_key("beg")) # wtu

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question How to Write a function with Pandas? SuperNinja3I3 4 2,320 Jul-03-2022, 02:19 PM
Last Post: ndc85430
  How can I write a function with three parameters? MehmetAliKarabulut 3 2,771 Mar-04-2021, 05:23 PM
Last Post: buran
  how to write a function in python that solves an equation samiraheen 5 9,757 Sep-28-2017, 01:10 AM
Last Post: Mekire
  Write a function sorting(L)? MoIbrahim 11 8,278 Apr-22-2017, 11:45 AM
Last Post: idontreallywolf
  function to write the contents of a webpage into a new file roadrage 4 6,012 Dec-01-2016, 09:28 PM
Last Post: snippsat