Python Forum
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Yield Keyword
Below is the code I have done following a tutorial, it involves creating a generator that makes the Fibonacci sequence, and then prints it out for values under 100. My problem that I have is I don't understand why I am using 'yield a' and what this does. Code is below:

def fib():
    a = 0
    b = 1
    while True:
        yield a
        a = b
        b = a + b
for f in fib():
    if f > 100:
        break
    print(f)
You capture the value (a from fib in your loop) returned by fib, but don't do anything with it except for the last iteration.
you should save it to a list, or print out results immediately:

to list:
def fib():
    a = 0
    b = 1
    while True:
        yield a
        a = b
        b = a + b
fibs = []
for f in fib():
    fibs.append(f)
    if f > 100:
        break
print(fibs)
immediate:
def fib():
    a = 0
    b = 1
    while True:
        yield a
        a = b
        b = a + b
for f in fib():
    print('{}, '.format(f), end = '')
    if f > 100:
        break
print()
(Aug-23-2018, 05:43 PM)6pathsMadara Wrote: Below is the code I have done following a tutorial, it involves creating a generator that makes the Fibonacci sequence, and then prints it out for values under 100. My problem that I have is I don't understand why I am using 'yield a' and what this does. Code is below:
def fib(): a = 0 b = 1 while True: yield a a = b b = a + b for f in fib(): if f > 100: break print(f)
(Aug-23-2018, 05:59 PM)Larz60+ Wrote: You capture the value (a from fib in your loop) returned by fib, but don't do anything with it except for the last iteration. you should save it to a list, or print out results immediately: to list:
 def fib(): a = 0 b = 1 while True: yield a a = b b = a + b fibs = [] for f in fib(): fibs.append(f) if f > 100: break print(fibs) 
immediate:
 def fib(): a = 0 b = 1 while True: yield a a = b b = a + b for f in fib(): print('{}, '.format(f), end = '') if f > 100: break print() 
But I still don't understand what yield does, when i remove it, the code doesn't do anything, there's no errors but it doesn't do anything, but I still don't understand it's functionality.
yield returns one value for each iteration.
so every time fib() is called, it yields 1 more value.
It't like it has a jar of cookies, and it only gives you one, just one (each time you ask), but only when you ask for it
return instead of yield would exit the function and forget about a and b (try it!). yield will return a value while retaining the state of the function in memory until the next time fib() is called. It will therefore remember what a and b were since the last time the function ran.
A function where the yield keyword is used, is a generator.
Calling the function returns a generator object. This objects saves it's internal state.
The generator object is also an iterator.
This is where 'magic' comes in-place. Calling next() on a generator
object, executes the code until the first yield has been reached.

def gen1():
    yield 1337

g = gen1() # no code execution
next(g) # gives you 1337
next(g) # Raises StopIteration
Since Python 3.4 you can and should use the return statement inside a generator to stop the iteration. It's better then raise StopIteration, which makes trouble with newer version of Python.

The Fibonacci example has a loop, where the yield keyword is hit more than one time. This is the cause, why it behaves like a loop.
Almost dead, but too lazy to die: https://sourceserver.info
All humans together. We don't need politicians!
(Aug-24-2018, 08:30 AM)DeaD_EyE Wrote: A function where the yield keyword is used, is a generator. Calling the function returns a generator object. This objects saves it's internal state. The generator object is also an iterator. This is where 'magic' comes in-place. Calling next() on a generator object, executes the code until the first yield has been reached.
def gen1(): yield 1337 g = gen1() # no code execution next(g) # gives you 1337 next(g) # Raises StopIteration 
Since Python 3.4 you can and should use the return statement inside a generator to stop the iteration. It's better then raise StopIteration, which makes trouble with newer version of Python. The Fibonacci example has a loop, where the yield keyword is hit more than one time. This is the cause, why it behaves like a loop.

Thank you, you have been great help and i now understand it.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  yield from akbarza 3 89 2 hours ago
Last Post: snippsat
  yield usage as statement or expression akbarza 5 796 Oct-23-2023, 11:43 AM
Last Post: Gribouillis
  Find a specific keyword after another keyword and change the output sgtmcc 5 808 Oct-05-2023, 07:41 PM
Last Post: deanhystad
  Using list comprehension with 'yield' in function tester_V 5 1,246 Apr-02-2023, 06:31 PM
Last Post: tester_V
  Yield generator weird output Vidar567 8 3,272 Nov-23-2020, 10:59 PM
  Trying to access next element using Generator(yield) in a Class omm 2 1,967 Oct-19-2020, 03:36 PM
Last Post: omm
  Yield statement question DPaul 6 2,509 Sep-26-2020, 05:18 PM
Last Post: DPaul
  Problem about yield, please help!! cls0724 5 2,856 Apr-08-2020, 05:37 PM
  does yield support variable args? Skaperen 0 1,670 Mar-03-2020, 02:44 AM
Last Post: Skaperen
  generator function that yield from a list buran 9 4,168 Jun-04-2019, 10:26 PM
Last Post: snippsat