Python Forum
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
any spam
I am checking how much spam is getting through.

I only see a few times that any of us had to purge a user that got through in the logs. And in the spam log i see 716 pages of spam IP addresses, emails, and usernames the forum denied registration to in just a few weeks.  :D
Recommended Tutorials:
(Oct-01-2016, 07:34 PM)metulburr Wrote: I am checking how much spam is getting through.

I only see a few times that any of us had to purge a user that got through in the logs. And in the spam log i see 716 pages of spam IP addresses, emails, and usernames the forum denied registration to in just a few weeks.  :D

Denied on what grounds? Captcha? Security question? Banned IP? Banned Email?
Unless noted otherwise, code in my posts should be understood as "coding suggestions", and its use may require more neurones than the two necessary for Ctrl-C/Ctrl-V.
Your one-stop place for all your GIMP needs: gimp-forum.net
Quote:Denied on what grounds? Captcha? Security question? Banned IP? Banned Email?

all from "stop forum spam", which has a database of IP addresses, emails, usernames, etc. that have spammed other forums. This is vanilla MyBB software anti-spam measures. It wont even send out an account email verification to waste resources. It just displays "you are labeled as spam please contact admins to correct this issue if you are not a spammer", etc.

http://stopforumspam.com/
Recommended Tutorials:
for username and email matches with a high score it should say "this is not a spammer forum" once and ignore thereafter. for IP address matches it should give that message modified with s/admins/your administrator or internet provider/ then ignore for a few minutes or so ... IMHO
Tradition is peer pressure from dead people

What do you call someone who speaks three languages? Trilingual. Two languages? Bilingual. One language? American.
I actually disabled username matches and kept email and ip address matches. Otherwise if you put a username that a spammer used once, you would be banned from that point on afterwords. 

And there is always that chance that someone spammed a forum and then moved, then a real user got that IP address, and wants to access a forum that matches their IP address with stop forum spam. If our forum banned them its not good. They should at least get information on how to fix the problem. 

Also you dont even have to move. My ISP changed my IP address 5 times in a year due to problems. And its suppose to be static.
Recommended Tutorials:
Quote:Denied on what grounds? Captcha? Security question? Banned IP? Banned Email?
Id like to add that whenever you purge a spammer via purge spammer button (in addition to removing them from our forums) it automatically uploads all the spammers information to the stop forum spam database. In return when an admin/mod on another forum uses their purge spammer option and uploads their spammers information to the database....our forum will utilize that change to deny that same spammer if they were to come to our forum afterwords.  And vice-versa to all the other forums blocking spammers that we purge. Its kind of a joint forum effort to remove spam.
Recommended Tutorials:
(Oct-02-2016, 03:04 PM)metulburr Wrote:
Id like to add that whenever you purge a spammer via purge spammer button (in addition to removing them from our forums) it automatically uploads all the spammers information to the stop forum spam database. In return when an admin/mod on another forum uses their purge spammer option and uploads their spammers information to the database....our forum will utilize that change to deny that same spammer if they were to come to our forum afterwords.  And vice-versa to all the other forums blocking spammers that we purge. Its kind of a joint forum effort to remove spam.

Cool.
Unless noted otherwise, code in my posts should be understood as "coding suggestions", and its use may require more neurones than the two necessary for Ctrl-C/Ctrl-V.
Your one-stop place for all your GIMP needs: gimp-forum.net