Python Forum
anyone here have code they give away?
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
anyone here have code they give away?
anyone here have code they give away? i am thinking about giving away a big collection of functions i have put together. i'm just curious how others go about doing this for Python. apparently i have been banned from github, even before i ever created an account there, so i hope it is not true that everyone is using github. the ban appears to be blocking me from creating an account there, not for reading or downloading.
Tradition is peer pressure from dead people

What do you call someone who speaks three languages? Trilingual. Two languages? Bilingual. One language? American.
that's a joke right?
Code is given away here on a daily basis.
That's what GitHub is all about
I don't know how you could have been banned from GitHub before creating an account, but in any case there are other sites that host Git repos if you wanted - Bitbucket (which I used to use, because at that time GitHub didn't allow you to have private repos for free) is one. I don't know if they still do, but they used to host Mercurial repos too in case you wanted to use that instead of Git. The major downside is that most people will be using Git.
In addition to Bitbucket, there is also GitLab. But like @ndc85430 said - I don't see how your GitHub ban could have happened.
If you can't explain it to a six year old, you don't understand it yourself, Albert Einstein
How to Ask Questions The Smart Way: link and another link
Create MCV example
Debug small programs

i don't know how it could have happened either. but when i first tried to create an account i was getting tons of error messages. i repeated the effort and at a point i could no long connect for a few days. i tried from another IP and it just froze up after entering my name a few times. i tried variations until i got a message that i have been prohibited. i've just given up on them and put my files on a web site based on AWS S3. i'm not in need of a versioning and/or shared repository at this time so i'm not worried about this. a plain HTTP storage like S3 is all i really need.

but if someone has a good idea that needs an online repository, i'll have to check out the alternatives.

(Jul-31-2020, 04:10 AM)ndc85430 Wrote: I don't know how you could have been banned from GitHub before creating an account, but in any case there are other sites that host Git repos if you wanted - Bitbucket (which I used to use, because at that time GitHub didn't allow you to have private repos for free) is one. I don't know if they still do, but they used to host Mercurial repos too in case you wanted to use that instead of Git. The major downside is that most people will be using Git.

why would you not use Bitbucket today?

What do you call someone who speaks three languages? Trilingual. Two languages? Bilingual. One language? American.
should i have my collection of functions made into one big nodule? people can then extract why they like.

(Jul-31-2020, 11:02 PM)Skaperen Wrote: i don't know how it could have happened either. but when i first tried to create an account i was getting tons of error messages. i repeated the effort and at a point i could no long connect for a few days. i tried from another IP and it just froze up after entering my name a few times. i tried variations until i got a message that i have been prohibited.

This seems quite strange. Did you contact them about it? There's probably a more reasonable explanation than being banned..

Quote:i'm not in need of a versioning and/or shared repository at this time so i'm not worried about this.

Version control is great even if you're working on your own. What happens if you find a bug in your software? Small atomic commits can help track down where the problem happened and allow you to undo it quickly. Some people also like to maintain several branches so they can separate work on new features from the main codebase until they're ready (I'm not one such person). The overhead of creating a repo is really quite small.

Quote:why would you not use Bitbucket today?

For my own stuff? Only because I prefer to have everything in one place. Since they're all Git repos, there's not really any difference in interacting with the two places (other than the websites really, but I don't have to do that all that much).
so why not just make my own repo, export releases, and put those releases in a download area?

back to my original thoughts. would it make more sense to distribute a large collection of 100+ functions as one big module or as 100+ individual files? or something in between?

I think the middle option - if you can group functions (e.g. file operations, string manipulations - i.e. just a guess/suggestion), and have module for each of the groups.
A step further would be to make a package(s) a publish on pypi
If you can't explain it to a six year old, you don't understand it yourself, Albert Einstein
How to Ask Questions The Smart Way: link and another link
Create MCV example
Debug small programs

Agreed. Presumably this library is around some single concept, but even then there must be things that fit into groups. Doing so makes it easy for users to navigate the project and find what they need, without having to sort through lots of irrelevant stuff. Dan North had a talk titled "Software that fits in your head" and while I think it was mostly about large scale systems, the points are largely relevant in the small scale too.

On GitHub again, another advantage of using it is if you wanted to allow people to contribute to your project. More people will have GitHub accounts and be familiar with pull requests than anything else.