Python Forum
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
background sessions
i have written a set of (5) scripts to use and manage background sessions based on the screen command.
  • sbg creates a named background session with options to set the text columns and rows.

• scn connects to a named session, a convenient way to use the correct option on the screen command.

• sin stuffs input to the screen session with conversions like \r for carriage return and ^c for control-c. you can also preview the stuffed conversions by using "." as the destination session name.

• sls list the available sessions (screen -ls)

• sss show the current screen contents of the specified session, leaving it in the background.

i am testing this out by using it, myself and have found i use it a lot, especially for commands i expect to run for a while, so they don't tie up my terminal windows. i use it most on remote servers and cloud instances since i don't run a bunch of windows connected to them and don't want internet outages to kill long running commands (some doing things with millions of files).

is there interest in me posting these here? maybe someone could adapt them for Mac OSX or Windows.
Tradition is peer pressure from dead people

What do you call someone who speaks three languages? Trilingual. Two languages? Bilingual. One language? American.
Sorry I'm using tmux instead of screen, so I won't use your script. You could perhaps publish them in a public repository in github and link the repository from here.
i have been publishing in my own web site for years.
Tradition is peer pressure from dead people

What do you call someone who speaks three languages? Trilingual. Two languages? Bilingual. One language? American.