Python Forum
banning accounts upon key words/phrases
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
banning accounts upon key words/phrases
Just the post, but its only 2 extra lines of coding to have it check subject line as well.
I appreciate the desire to make it non-obvious to spammers but I feel like it doesn't really help with the false positives. I just imagine this happening to me and being frustrated as hell. I'd rather we the mods be a little frustrated with spam than impact new members of the community.
(Oct-24-2016, 03:26 PM)micseydel Wrote: I feel like the spam really isn't bad, and friction will prevent this forum from growing.

Do we have the numbers to substantiate this feeling?
(Oct-24-2016, 03:49 PM)micseydel Wrote: I appreciate the desire to make it non-obvious to spammers but I feel like it doesn't really help with the false positives. I just imagine this happening to me and being frustrated as hell. I'd rather we the mods be a little frustrated with spam than impact new members of the community.

Well i was trying to make it less work on you guys. We currently have 2-3 spam posts a day. But our database is no where near as the old forum, and we are not yet ranked as #1 on google. I was assuming that when we are back on top of the rank search, that the spam would increase drastically. If we are getting 2-3 now, it would not surprise me to get 30+ a day later, if not more. 

I was trying to prevent the first post lock as we did in the past forum. To be honest i didnt really like that alternative. This seemed like a good alternative. 

But if everyone would rather take care of it manually....then that is what will happen.
Recommended Tutorials:
The problem with purging is, we can't easily gather a list of recent spammers and spam content, right?

Can we have a solution where suspicious posts by new users must be approved by mods before visible to other users?
(Oct-24-2016, 03:53 PM)Kebap Wrote: Do we have the numbers to substantiate this feeling?
What specifically? It's a judgment call, right?

@metul: I feel like marrying this two solutions is ideal. I don't ever want to block someone from posting and them not know why. I'm perfectly happy to selectively flag posts for moderation and put them in queue before they're visible. But if we can't queue them, I'd rather than solve a problem before it's a problem - imagine we don't get to top of Google results because of the slowed community growth, and never have enough spam to worry about? LOL
(Oct-24-2016, 04:05 PM)micseydel Wrote: I don't ever want to block someone from posting and them not know why.
No, I would never want to either. But I dont think users would start their first post by adding a link though.

Its up to you guys. I can add the keywords to the error to inform possible false positives. Or just let it be for now.
Recommended Tutorials:
(Oct-24-2016, 04:17 PM)metulburr Wrote: But I dont think users would start their first post by adding a link though.
What do you mean? It happens somewhat frequently, and there are often times when users should be doing it but don't. "I'm trying to parse an API..." or "I'm having trouble with a specific part of a specific tutorial..."

It's wonky to do it in the subject, but I still don't think they should be punished for it. And if I did, I'd wait 'til we're #1 :)
(Oct-24-2016, 05:45 PM)micseydel Wrote:
(Oct-24-2016, 04:17 PM)metulburr Wrote: But I dont think users would start their first post by adding a link though.
What do you mean? It happens somewhat frequently, and there are often times when users should be doing it but don't. "I'm trying to parse an API..." or "I'm having trouble with a specific part of a specific tutorial..."

It's wonky to do it in the subject, but I still don't think they should be punished for it. And if I did, I'd wait 'til we're #1  :)

I guess you are right.
Recommended Tutorials:
I'm with micseydel on this one. Speaking as a statistician, you will get false positives. Putting it in a queue is a good alternative, and we can reassess the issue if even that becomes too much of a problem.
Craig "Ichabod" O'Brien - xenomind.com
I wish you happiness.
Recommended Tutorials: BBCode, functions, classes, text adventures