Python Forum
[book] Various python and non python books available each day (free for 24hrs)
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[book] Various python and non python books available each day (free for 24hrs)
(Dec-13-2016, 01:43 AM)Larz60+ Wrote: Has anyone checked O'Reilly lately?
There is an index over free books here.
Hello All,

Do you need to do something very specific in a focused and practical manner, so that you can get the job done on time.
Packt is offering a free eBook version of 'Functional Python Programming' by Steven Lott to create succinct and expressive implementations with functional programming in Python.
You can download the free book  - https://www.packtpub.com/packt/offers/free-learning

This practical guide demonstrates the Python implementation of a number of functional programming techniques and design patterns. Starting with a general overview of functional programming concepts, you will explore common functional features such as first-class and higher-order functions, pure functions and more, and how these are accomplished in Python. Additionally, you will cover how common functional optimizations can be handled in Python. You'll also explore data preparation techniques and data exploration in depth. Moving on, you will learn how the Python standard library fits the functional programming model. The book concludes with a look at the PyMonad project and some larger examples.
By the end of this book, you will be able to understand what functional programming is all about, its impact on the programming workflow, why it's important, and how to implement it in Python.
  • Use Python's generator functions and generator expressions to work with collections in a non-strict (or lazy) manner
  • Utilize Python library modules including itertools, functools, multiprocessing, and concurrent.futures for efficient functional programs
  • Use Python strings using object-oriented suffix notation and prefix notation
  • Avoid stateful classes with families of tuples
  • Design and implement decorators to create composite functions
  • Use functions like max(), min(), map(), filter(), and sorted()
  • Write higher-order functions
Don't miss this book!

Thanks
Eesha 

[Image: 9781784396992.png]
Error:
Expired
Functional programming? I'll bite.
Oh hey, and O'Reilly has a free Functional book: http://www.oreilly.com/programming/free/...nal_python
And also a Rust book! http://www.oreilly.com/programming/free/...n_why_rust

What are the licensing on these free books? Can we maybe upload them to the forum, so people can check them out more than just "free day"?
Packt terms and conditions.
For those following along, no, pdfs from packt cannot be shared (I checked). They consider it exactly the same as one of the books you bought, except you happened to pay $0 for it.

O'Reilly books, however, are not time sensitive, and those ones are free all the time (even if they are just slimmed down versions of a full book anyway).
No pdfs... What about epubs?
"As they say in Mexico 'dosvidaniya'. That makes two vidaniyas."
https://freedns.afraid.org
I think you have misunderstood, the no is that they cannot be shared with others.
They are readable online, can be downloaded as pdf, epub, mobi & kindle.
(Dec-14-2016, 10:46 AM)Yoriz Wrote: I think you have misunderstood, the no is that they cannot be shared with others.
They are readable online, can be downloaded as pdf, epub, mobi & kindle.

No, no! Smile  I've got it right. Just.... Where I live, we share. If we want. The average wage is about $330-400. Most of the people can't afford the cost. They spend money only for overheads, food, clotes, shoes and almost nothing more. Sometimes for an alcohol. The concept "I buy something and can't share it with you, even book" is something unknown. Which isn't good for authors but this is how it is.   Dodgy
"As they say in Mexico 'dosvidaniya'. That makes two vidaniyas."
https://freedns.afraid.org
There is really no way to stop you from sharing a file or book with a friend, you are sharing on a personal basis.  Your problems would begin if you were to post it on a 'public' venue, such as this forum, a web page, or putting them on a CD and passing them out like candy on a street corner.  A little common sense would go a long way.
If it ain't broke, I just haven't gotten to it yet.
OS: Windows 10, openSuse 42.3, freeBSD 11, Raspian "Stretch"
Python 3.6.5, IDE: PyCharm 2018 Community Edition
The free book every 24 hours seems to have stopped for the moment.
Currently they are offering Access over 4,000 eBooks & video courses. Free for 10 days.

packpub Wrote:Free eBooks will continue in 2017
Our Free Learning commitment that gives you free eBooks every day will return in early 2017. However you can now enjoy the entire Packt library with a 10 day trial of Mapt with no credit card required. So go ahead and enjoy every Packt eBook and video for free...

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  books on learning coding alok 3 2,599 Aug-22-2022, 03:17 PM
Last Post: Larz60+
Star Nodezator (free Python node editor) released to the public domain! KennedyRichard 4 2,116 Jun-24-2022, 09:49 AM
  Best book on learning Python by referring C++ almahdi 1 1,386 Jun-01-2022, 07:01 AM
  Best books for programming katy1234 0 1,369 May-26-2022, 12:47 PM
Last Post: katy1234
  Best Python Books for Starters and more Advanced m0dev 5 10,660 Mar-02-2022, 02:21 PM
Last Post: Haroldmorris
  Python GUI for Android - ebook for free OlafArtAnanda 2 3,720 Jul-20-2021, 11:07 PM
Last Post: phoenix
  [Expired] Free Course: Automate the Boring Stuff with Python Programming Yoriz 0 2,727 Jun-06-2021, 01:18 PM
Last Post: Yoriz
  [Expired] Complete Python 3 course, FREE for the next 2 days Yoriz 2 2,734 May-17-2021, 05:28 PM
Last Post: Yoriz
  Get Python 101 2nd Edition FREE for 72 Hours! snippsat 1 2,579 Jan-11-2021, 06:35 PM
  Python Books - Recommendation lasek723 5 3,747 Oct-29-2020, 08:01 AM
Last Post: snippsat