Python Forum
brownouts on 220/230/240 volts
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
brownouts on 220/230/240 volts
how many people here, who power their computers with a mains voltage of 220/230/240 volts, ha experienced a brownout or other low voltage event?

there is one type of low voltage cause that cuts the voltage in about half. this is when one phase of three phase power goes out when feeding a "delta-wye" transformer (the most common in North America, less common elsewhere). that transformer then powers three wires from just two, and the way it is wired, one gets normal voltage and the other two get half the voltage. 1/3 of the power company's single phase customers see nothing wrong while 2/3 see dim lights and motors not working. but if your computer is plugged in to a 220/230/260 volt outlet it will get 110/115/120 which is within its specified voltage range.

i am wondering how many people who have their computers powered from 220/230/240 volts have experienced this kind of power situation and found that many electrical things did not work while some others, like computers, were working OK (if they didn't trip a circuit breaker from the increased current).

i've experienced such a brownout before. but i have not experienced one since i switched my computers to run on 240 volts (previously run on 120 volts).
Tradition is peer pressure from dead people

What do you call someone who speaks three languages? Trilingual. Two languages? Bilingual. One language? American.