Python Forum
browser tab linked with unread posts counter
Poll: What to do about the browser tab unread post counter?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Keep unread post counter on browsers tab for every page (override forum thread info)
30.77%
4 30.77%
Keep unread post counter on browsers tab for index page only (keeps thread info)
15.38%
2 15.38%
Keep unread post counter on browsers tab for index page and forum thread but not individual threads(keeps thread info)
7.69%
1 7.69%
Do not use unread counter on browser tab at all
46.15%
6 46.15%
no opinion
0%
0 0%
Total 13 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
browser tab linked with unread posts counter
i modified the unread post plugin to link its counter to the browser tab. So if you have 1 unread post, it should show (1) Python Forum in the tab instead of the old Python Forum. 

I checked on Chrome, Firefox, and Epiphany. 

The browser tab only updates if left on the index page so far.
Recommended Tutorials:
(Apr-18-2017, 05:28 PM)metulburr Wrote: The browser tab only updates if left on the index page so far.
works on all pages now.
Recommended Tutorials:
Oh, good. I thought I was going nuts.
Craig "Ichabod" O'Brien - xenomind.com
I wish you happiness.
Recommended Tutorials: BBCode, functions, classes, text adventures
Not sure if I like this change

How many users do we expect to read every single new post? I assume not too many. So this number will increase for them until it reaches the maximum. At this point, the browser tab will always show the same number in front of the real title. I don't see many benefits. In fact, it only seems helpful for those actively trying to read every single post and who want to be notified by the tab name immediately. The same notification was already visible in the header area of every single forum page you open. However, as this functionality now exists, I'd vote to make it optional through user preferences and have it deactivated by default.

A much more useful addition to the always same "Python Forum" browser tab name would be the name of the thread you are currently reading, etc. This way, when a user goes from an overview of threads to opening multiple threads each in a tab of their own, the tab name will directly say, which tab holds which thread. I am pretty sure this was already working at some point, but maybe was deactivated by this change now? Vote for returning that functionality.
(Apr-19-2017, 10:44 AM)Kebap Wrote: A much more useful addition to the always same "Python Forum" browser tab name would be the name of the thread you are currently reading, etc.
The was the way it was. You just couldnt read it because of so little real estate. The fact of it working on every page overrides the thread info on the browser tab. If its only on the index page, they will still work. 
(Apr-19-2017, 10:44 AM)Kebap Wrote: How many users do we expect to read every single new post?
I was assuming that every user would always keep their unread post counter cleared. I would e interested in knowing if some user dont do this.

I will add a poll.

EDIT:
Quote: I'd vote to make it optional through user preferences and have it deactivated by default.
i will attempt to add this
Recommended Tutorials:
Quote: I'd vote to make it optional through user preferences and have it deactivated by default.

I would prefer this option as well. :)
(Apr-19-2017, 10:44 AM)Kebap Wrote: The same notification was already visible in the header area of every single forum page you open.
Actually before i modified it, the counter was only available in the index page. The links was always there, but the counter was not.

(Apr-19-2017, 10:44 AM)Kebap Wrote: A much more useful addition to the always same "Python Forum" browser tab name would be the name of the thread you are currently reading, etc. This way, when a user goes from an overview of threads to opening multiple threads each in a tab of their own, the tab name will directly say, which tab holds which thread.
you could do the same with the URL in that way then since the thread title is in the URL. But if that is what you really are interested in, i could try to parse the old title in with the counter of the tab?
Recommended Tutorials:
Not very useful and since I have around 202 unread posts I thought it was Firefox telling me about strange HTTP return codes until I lloked at th epage source. If it must stay I would much prefer something like Python forum (55 unread)
Unless noted otherwise, code in my posts should be understood as "coding suggestions", and its use may require more neurones than the two necessary for Ctrl-C/Ctrl-V.
Your one-stop place for all your GIMP needs: gimp-forum.net
I like it
(Apr-19-2017, 03:03 PM)Ofnuts Wrote: I have around 202 unread posts
you dont clear unread posts? there is a "Mark all threads read" option in the unread posts window (when there are unread posts).
Recommended Tutorials:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Showing wrong number of unread posts j.crater 6 4,448 Dec-14-2017, 03:29 PM
Last Post: metulburr
  posts remain in Unread Posts after read Larz60+ 27 48,804 Jun-02-2017, 05:24 PM
Last Post: Kebap
  Unread Posts micseydel 7 7,828 Sep-19-2016, 09:46 PM
Last Post: metulburr