Python Forum
browser tab linked with unread posts counter
Poll: What to do about the browser tab unread post counter?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Keep unread post counter on browsers tab for every page (override forum thread info)
30.77%
4 30.77%
Keep unread post counter on browsers tab for index page only (keeps thread info)
15.38%
2 15.38%
Keep unread post counter on browsers tab for index page and forum thread but not individual threads(keeps thread info)
7.69%
1 7.69%
Do not use unread counter on browser tab at all
46.15%
6 46.15%
no opinion
0%
0 0%
Total 13 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
browser tab linked with unread posts counter
(Apr-19-2017, 11:36 AM)metulburr Wrote: I was assuming that every user would always keep their unread post counter cleared. I would be interested in knowing if some user dont do this.

I for one did never bother to "Clear unread posts" because in fact I did not read them, so maybe can continue later. It is great that the forum will remember this even weeks later.

Most our users are beginners who are probably only interested in some but not all topics, therefore I found it very probable, they will have unread posts accumulating.

(Apr-19-2017, 11:36 AM)metulburr Wrote:
(Apr-19-2017, 10:44 AM)Kebap Wrote: A much more useful addition to the always same "Python Forum" browser tab name would be the name of the thread you are currently reading, etc.
The was the way it was. You just couldnt read it because of so little real estate.
The first few words are mostly enough and even if not, you can still use mouse-over to see the full thread-name.
Personally, I look at (even if extremely briefly) everything, so my unread count stays near zero, and I love it, but I understand that it's not the same for everyone else. If it can be option then that'd be great but I wouldn't be sad about losing it at this point.
There are browsers that cannot dispay unreaded post on the tab. The text browsers for example.
"As they say in Mexico 'dosvidaniya'. That makes two vidaniyas."
https://freedns.afraid.org
(Apr-19-2017, 03:34 PM)metulburr Wrote:
(Apr-19-2017, 03:03 PM)Ofnuts Wrote: I have around 202 unread posts
you dont clear unread posts? there is a "Mark all threads read" option in the unread posts window (when there are unread posts).
Not always. I can also click on the "bullet" next to the forum name in the home page to mark a forum read (which shows that this plugin is not thorough because it doesn't change the number of unread posts in the tab & title bar).
Unless noted otherwise, code in my posts should be understood as "coding suggestions", and its use may require more neurones than the two necessary for Ctrl-C/Ctrl-V.
Your one-stop place for all your GIMP needs: gimp-forum.net
(Apr-22-2017, 12:49 PM)Ofnuts Wrote: Not always. I can also click on the "bullet" next to the forum name in the home page to mark a forum read (which shows that this plugin is not thorough because it doesn't change the number of unread posts in the tab & title bar).
This works for me. You have to give it up to the allotted time to update the counter (currently is 15 seconds). It is not immediate, otherwise it would be a large bandwidth drag.

EDIT:
You mean this?
Recommended Tutorials:
I will say that I am using the unread posts link a lot now, and I never did before.
Craig "Ichabod" O'Brien - xenomind.com
I wish you happiness.
Recommended Tutorials: BBCode, functions, classes, text adventures
I have always (as far back as I can remember) used it.
I would miss it if it went away.
I also at least visit all posts, so again mine stays relatively low
ive always used the unread posts on this and the old forum. If i could i would make the counter in the browser tab be associated with "my discussions" of unread posts. Then the browser tab counter would be in some way associated to the user logged in and not just general new posts. 

As a team member i feel i need to at least glance at all posts. Make sure nothing is spam or inappropriate. And i usually do. And in doing that i always have that counter to 0. So i personally like the counter in the tab, but if i gets voted out, what can i do.
Recommended Tutorials:
Looks like this is getting voted out  Tongue

EDIT:
Actually im not sure how to do this? A straight vote for each and no counter is added. But more people voted for the counter in total, just in a different fashion. Im pretty sure those voted from all pages, would second choice the index page, and so on and so on. Thoughts?

EDIT2:
Based on vote counts i made the counter on index page only. This resumes normal operation for threads and forum names to show when on it. So if you want the counter you have to go back to the index page for it to show up. I also extended the poll since being close.
Recommended Tutorials:
Even on the index pages, I thing that Python forum (27 unread) looks better and is more understandable than (27) Python Forum. In my suggested form, it wouldn't bother me much on all pages. Too bad we couldn't vote on the form, only on the presence :)
Unless noted otherwise, code in my posts should be understood as "coding suggestions", and its use may require more neurones than the two necessary for Ctrl-C/Ctrl-V.
Your one-stop place for all your GIMP needs: gimp-forum.net

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Showing wrong number of unread posts j.crater 6 4,432 Dec-14-2017, 03:29 PM
Last Post: metulburr
  posts remain in Unread Posts after read Larz60+ 27 47,475 Jun-02-2017, 05:24 PM
Last Post: Kebap
  Unread Posts micseydel 7 7,770 Sep-19-2016, 09:46 PM
Last Post: metulburr