Python Forum
can't remove element from a list
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
can't remove element from a list
i have a list and i want to remove all non digit element from it,but got some problem.
there is my code , can you help me:

match = re.compile(r'ROL N°.[0-9][0-9].')

case_title = re.sub(match,'',expression) 
num_case= match.search(expression)

first_case_num=[]
 first_case_num = num_case.group()
 second_case_num=  num_case.group()

for case in first_case_num:
        if case.isdecimal():
            pass
        else:
             first_case_num.remove(case)
Quote:---------------------------------------------------------------------------
AttributeError Traceback (most recent call last)
<ipython-input-91-521c272a0c4b> in <module>
27 print(case)
28 else:
---> 29 first_case_num.remove(case)

AttributeError: 'str' object has no attribute 'remove'
What is num_case?
I'm not 'in'-sane. Indeed, I am so far 'out' of sane that you appear a tiny blip on the distant coast of sanity. Bucky Katt, Get Fuzzy

Da Bishop: There's a dead bishop on the landing. I don't know who keeps bringing them in here. ....but society is to blame.
i updated my code , that you can see . and sorry
As of error I think that this is pretty straightforward: it's shows the row and the problem: first_case_num is string object, not list and therefore Python can't execute this.

But what is your input list and what is expected output?
I'm not 'in'-sane. Indeed, I am so far 'out' of sane that you appear a tiny blip on the distant coast of sanity. Bucky Katt, Get Fuzzy

Da Bishop: There's a dead bishop on the landing. I don't know who keeps bringing them in here. ....but society is to blame.
i really confused,
in my code i want to get 10 first element of a string(in this code it's "expression") and affect them to first_case_num , after that i will remove from first_case_num any element who is not numeric.
I address the task which is described as 'i want to get 10 first element of a string /../ remove /../ any element who is not numeric.'

To get first 10 elements from string one can use slice (just to remind that non-printable characters/elements in string are as their printable counterparts also characters/elements):

>>> s = '123abc456def789'
>>> [char for char in s[:10] if char.isnumeric()]
['1', '2', '3', '4', '5', '6']
>>> ''.join(char for char in s[:10] if char.isnumeric())
'123456'

thank you for your response, and it help to get see new idea how to solve the problem.
maybe i didn't explain you well and i am sorry.

when i told you 10 characters it was just to give you an example and simplify .
i need to use regex because the expression that i use to extract the digits can contain white spaces or other special characters .

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  unable to remove all elements from list based on a condition sg_python 3 373 Jan-27-2024, 04:03 PM
Last Post: deanhystad
  list in dicitonary element problem jacksfrustration 3 625 Oct-14-2023, 03:37 PM
  Find (each) element from a list in a file tester_V 3 1,155 Nov-15-2022, 08:40 PM
Last Post: tester_V
  Remove numbers from a list menator01 4 1,251 Nov-13-2022, 01:27 AM
Last Post: menator01
  Сheck if an element from a list is in another list that contains a namedtuple elnk 8 1,714 Oct-26-2022, 04:03 PM
  Membership test for an element in a list that is a dict value for a particular key? Mark17 2 1,159 Jul-01-2022, 10:52 PM
Last Post: Pedroski55
  How to find the second lowest element in the list? Anonymous 3 1,903 May-31-2022, 01:58 PM
Last Post: Larz60+
  check if element is in a list in a dictionary value ambrozote 4 1,879 May-11-2022, 06:05 PM
  Remove empty keys in a python list python_student 7 2,899 Jan-12-2022, 10:23 PM
Last Post: python_student
  Remove an item from a list contained in another item in python CompleteNewb 19 5,546 Nov-11-2021, 06:43 AM
Last Post: Gribouillis