Python Forum
cheating with indented code
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
cheating with indented code
i had a block of code in a loop. i needed to copy it to a place before the loop to initialize some things. it was already indented one level too much. but rather than edit all those lines to unindent them (and because i might need to copy them back with changes) i cheated. i created a FAKE block that began with "if 1:". now i can just leave them indented.
Tradition is peer pressure from dead people

What do you call someone who speaks three languages? Trilingual. Two languages? Bilingual. One language? American.
well, every decent IDE has a key combinations to indent and de-dent block of code.
e.g. in VS Code, select a block of code and Tab will indent one level Shift+Tab will de-dent one level. Same in Notepad++. No need of this weird stuff with fake if block.
If you can't explain it to a six year old, you don't understand it yourself, Albert Einstein
How to Ask Questions The Smart Way: link and another link
Create MCV example
Debug small programs

In Kate or Kdevelop it is Ctrl-I and Ctrl-Shift-I.
how about emacs (version 25.2)?
Tradition is peer pressure from dead people

What do you call someone who speaks three languages? Trilingual. Two languages? Bilingual. One language? American.
I don't use emacs, but quick lool in the docs show there are 2 commands to indent and dedent regions of lines:
https://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manua...n-Commands

Look at the last 2 in the above link.
If you can't explain it to a six year old, you don't understand it yourself, Albert Einstein
Create MCV example
Debug small programs

Look also at https://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manua...l#C-Indent

Last 2 paragraphs
Create MCV example
Debug small programs