Python Forum
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
converting int to any base
i would like to know in there is a way to convert an int to a string of digit, with a specified minimum width and a specified leading character (if there is room for it) in any base > 1 for which enough digits can be provided ... or if i need to code my own function.
Tradition is peer pressure from dead people

What do you call someone who speaks three languages? Trilingual. Two languages? Bilingual. One language? American.
conversion, string, format.... based on that I suggest to look at f-strings
I'm not 'in'-sane. Indeed, I am so far 'out' of sane that you appear a tiny blip on the distant coast of sanity. Bucky Katt, Get Fuzzy

Da Bishop: There's a dead bishop on the landing. I don't know who keeps bringing them in here. ....but society is to blame.
... forgot to mention, i need to do this on Python versions [((241806727153106%40**(p+1))//40**p)/10. for p in range(9)].
Tradition is peer pressure from dead people

What do you call someone who speaks three languages? Trilingual. Two languages? Bilingual. One language? American.
Quick and dirty function which does some required stuff:

def int_to_base(num, base):
    if num == 0:
        return '0'
    digits = ''
    while num:
        digits = digits + str(num % base)
        num //= base 
    return 'meaning_of_life: {0:08d}'.format(int(digits[::-1]))

int_to_base(42, 8)
'meaning_of_life: 00000052'
Unfortunately // and / have different meanings in 2 and 3.
I'm not 'in'-sane. Indeed, I am so far 'out' of sane that you appear a tiny blip on the distant coast of sanity. Bucky Katt, Get Fuzzy

Da Bishop: There's a dead bishop on the landing. I don't know who keeps bringing them in here. ....but society is to blame.