Python Forum
Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
creapy ping
i just tested the ping command again. i did this test many years ago, too. it is still creapy. i ran ping under strace with the -tt option to see when it sends the ping packet. it still slowly creaps forward. i am wanting a ping program that does not creap. that means it will need to calculate how much time to wait until the next time to send a packet. that and perhaps separate threads for sending and receiving. and this will be a chance to also support pinging via UDP and TCP and even other ways, all in the same program. and ICMP pinging perhaps will need to be done only by root unless there is a secure way to do "suid root" in python (never tried this yet).

i also need to make a program that forwards UDP datagrams to 2 (or more) different places with logic that divides up the amount of datagrams to be proportional to the differing bandwidth these different places are reached with. the content doesn't matter; it's all about balancing traffic.
Tradition is peer pressure from dead people

What do you call someone who speaks three languages? Trilingual. Two languages? Bilingual. One language? American.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  ping program in Python Skaperen 13 7,051 Mar-05-2022, 06:20 PM
Last Post: Skaperen