Python Forum
dict elements are sometimes treated as List and sometimes as String
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
dict elements are sometimes treated as List and sometimes as String
I'm just learning Python by developing an anagram finder.

After a bit of debugging it seems that if I check "if token not in words" then the words dictionary treats its elements as List items.

But if I assign a value without doing the "if" check, the values are treated as Strings (rather than a List of strings).

Is there somewhere I can research why the behavior changes? Is there a way to force the dictionary to make the values Lists?

I'm using PyCharm 2019.3.4 for Mac with Python 3.7.2

# This code block treats words[] values as List items, allowing append to work
words = dict()
token: str ="acto"
if token not in words:
    words[token] = ["coat"]
else:
    words[token].append("coat")

words[token].append("taco") #In this code block, "taco" is appended to the List associated with the "acto" key -> ['coat', 'taco']

for x in words:
    print (words[x])
# This code block treats words[] values as Strings items.  Append does not work
words = dict()
words[token] = ["coat"]
words[token].append("taco") #blows up because String has no append method.
Please, post full traceback you get, in error tags. There is something else, because your code works:
the second code works
words = dict()
token:str = "acto"
words[token] = ["coat"]
words[token].append("taco")
print(words)
Output:
{'acto': ['coat', 'taco']}
If you can't explain it to a six year old, you don't understand it yourself, Albert Einstein
How to Ask Questions The Smart Way: link and another link
Create MCV example
Debug small programs

Hi Buran

Thanks for helping. Here's the snippet and the error message

words2 = dict()
words2[token]="coat"
words2[token].append("taco") #Line 16
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/Users/Library/Preferences/PyCharmCE2019.3/scratches/QuickDictionary.py", line 16, in <module>
words2[token].append("taco")
AttributeError: 'str' object has no attribute 'append'
['coat', 'taco']
<re.Match object; span=(0, 0), match=''>

Process finished with exit code 1
If you want the dictionary to contain lists you need to add lists. "coat" is a string. ["coat"] is a list that contains a string. You can append to a list of strings. You cannot append to a string. Your first two examples run correctly because they initially add a list to the dictionary. The final example fails because it adds a word. I think you problem is a typo.
(Mar-30-2020, 01:16 AM)deanhystad Wrote: If you want the dictionary to contain lists you need to add lists. "coat" is a string. ["coat"] is a list that contains a string. You can append to a list of strings. You cannot append to a string. Your first two examples run correctly because they initially add a list to the dictionary. The final example fails because it adds a word. I think you problem is a typo.

Thanks for catching that - it did the trick.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  unable to remove all elements from list based on a condition sg_python 3 371 Jan-27-2024, 04:03 PM
Last Post: deanhystad
Question mypy unable to analyse types of tuple elements in a list comprehension tomciodev 1 426 Oct-17-2023, 09:46 AM
Last Post: tomciodev
  Checking if a string contains all or any elements of a list k1llcod3 1 1,023 Jan-29-2023, 04:34 AM
  How to change the datatype of list elements? mHosseinDS86 9 1,896 Aug-24-2022, 05:26 PM
  Membership test for an element in a list that is a dict value for a particular key? Mark17 2 1,158 Jul-01-2022, 10:52 PM
Last Post: Pedroski55
  Are list/dict comprehensions interpreted really sequentially? anata2047 3 1,412 May-31-2022, 08:43 PM
Last Post: Gribouillis
  ValueError: Length mismatch: Expected axis has 8 elements, new values have 1 elements ilknurg 1 5,012 May-17-2022, 11:38 AM
Last Post: Larz60+
  Updating nested dict list keys tbaror 2 1,243 Feb-09-2022, 09:37 AM
Last Post: tbaror
  Why am I getting list elements < 0 ? Mark17 8 3,026 Aug-26-2021, 09:31 AM
Last Post: naughtyCat
  Looping through nested elements and updating the original list Alex_James 3 2,069 Aug-19-2021, 12:05 PM
Last Post: Alex_James