Python Forum
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
dictionary merge
i have 2 or more dictionaries to merge. they always have different keys. is there a way to do this in one expression? the .update() method returns None so it is unusable for this.
Tradition is peer pressure from dead people

What do you call someone who speaks three languages? Trilingual. Two languages? Bilingual. One language? American.
From 3.5 ** dictionary unpacking operators.
>>> x = {'a': 1, 'b': 2}
>>> y = {'c': 999, 'd': 200}
>>> z = {**x, **y}
>>> z
{'a': 1, 'b': 2, 'c': 999, 'd': 200}
i am going to:
my_function(**merged_dict)
and that will be the only use for the merged dictionary ... both parts being used for keyword arguments in the function call ... like:
my_function(**{**dicta,**dictb})
is that the way to do it even for keyword arguments?

What do you call someone who speaks three languages? Trilingual. Two languages? Bilingual. One language? American.
There is no need to create a merged dict, just to unpack it in function call. Isn't that what you actually want:
spam = {'a':1, 'b':2}
eggs = {'c':3, 'd':4}

def foo(*args, **kwargs):
    for key, value in kwargs.items():
        print(f'{key} -> {value}')

foo(**spam, **eggs)
Output:
a -> 1 b -> 2 c -> 3 d -> 4
or to extend it with positional arguments:

for arg in args:
        print(arg)

foo('boo', 'woo', **spam, **eggs)
Output:
boo woo a -> 1 b -> 2 c -> 3 d -> 4
or
bar = ['boo', 'woo']

for arg in args:
        print(arg)

foo(*bar, **spam, **eggs)
Output:
boo woo a -> 1 b -> 2 c -> 3 d -> 4
If you can't explain it to a six year old, you don't understand it yourself, Albert Einstein
How to Ask Questions The Smart Way: link and another link
Create MCV example
Debug small programs

Depending on use case there is also collections.ChainMap

If there are duplicate keys first one is kept (this is in contrast of merging when last one is kept):

>>> from collections import ChainMap
>>> spam = {'a':1, 'b':2} 
>>> eggs = {'c':3, 'd':4}                                                                                                       
>>> chained = ChainMap(spam, eggs)
>>> chained                                                                                                                   
ChainMap({'a': 1, 'b': 2}, {'c': 3, 'd': 4})
>>> eggs['e'] = 5                                                                                                                          
>>> chained                                                                                                                                
ChainMap({'a': 1, 'b': 2}, {'c': 3, 'd': 4, 'e': 5})
>>> spam['c'] = 'c'                                                                                                                        
>>> chained                                                                                                                                
ChainMap({'a': 1, 'b': 2, 'c': 'c'}, {'c': 3, 'd': 4, 'e': 5})
>>> dict(chained)                                                                                                                          
>>> {'c': 'c', 'd': 4, 'e': 5, 'a': 1, 'b': 2}
I'm not 'in'-sane. Indeed, I am so far 'out' of sane that you appear a tiny blip on the distant coast of sanity. Bucky Katt, Get Fuzzy

Da Bishop: There's a dead bishop on the landing. I don't know who keeps bringing them in here. ....but society is to blame.
i did not know it is possible to "merge" 2 or more keyword args when using **. that is why i wondered if that dictionary object reference was passed as the reference in the function that is also using **. so, it must be true that for a function call with keyword args, all of them are collected into a new dictionary for a function that uses ** and a reference to that new dictionary is stored in that function instance's local name space as the name after the ** in the def.