Python Forum
editors for python in python
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
editors for python in python
i am looking for an editor for coding python, implemented in python, and can work in a full screen text-only (not GUI) environment like i have (terminal).  it should be smart about python code.  it's a big plus if it can handle .rst and plain text.  it's also a plus if it is smart about some other languages.  if it has a scripting method of it's own is also a plus.  even better if that scripting is done in python.
Tradition is peer pressure from dead people

What do you call someone who speaks three languages? Trilingual. Two languages? Bilingual. One language? American.
Ninja IDE is written in Python. It's not a ncursed/terminal like application but full GUI one ( Qt ).  I have used it for a while. But again is a not cli application.
"As they say in Mexico 'dosvidaniya'. That makes two vidaniyas."
https://freedns.afraid.org
sublime text has python/C++. Handling plugins is python and the settings is JSON format.
Recommended Tutorials:
VS code has done a lot of stuff right.
It's in the category as multi language editors like Sublime and Atom.
With one plugin get a lot of stuff for Python(has 4 269 279 installs),
there no plugin for Sublime or Atom that has all this features in 1 plugin.
My quick review.

There setting format is all JSON,but they have a new take on it which is good.
If new to change all the default setting will stay intact,
it comes up a edit button which will make a new JSON file with the overwrite setting.
Here's a wiki list of editors: https://wiki.python.org/moin/PythonEditors

but don't see any that fit your bill.

There's: https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions...-to-python
which is console based, but not sure which language it is written in.

You could write your own.
i don't want to write my own.  parsing python code (in the edit buffer) would be hard for me.  right now i use emacs and the python understanding seems to be buggy.  that suggests to me that it is a hard problem.

here is why i do not want an X windows editor:

i may suddenly need to edit a file on a remote host. most likely i have not set up the connect up for X windows.  most like the remote host has no X libraries (so X programs can't even run).  the terminal session may be a session in the screen command.  the terminal session may be a session in the script command to log its output.

i run the non-X version of emacs.

What do you call someone who speaks three languages? Trilingual. Two languages? Bilingual. One language? American.
You could use vim instead. A long time ago I read this and after that, I found this one. Called spf13. I have tried the second but had no time to learn all features it offers. That was on some Ubuntu installation. Now I am using Arch Linux perhaps I will try it again.

Neovim? You can write plugins in Python for this if you want to.
why vi-like editors?  well, ok, if it is written 100% in python.  but i still want it to smartly deal with python code ... at least as well as emacs does.  an emacs-like command set would be a plus (personal thing).

You could write an editor for Python in Python. With prompt_toolkit this should be not a difficult task. You get syntax highlighting right away. Just have to implement the indentation and some syntax parser to show the syntax errors. It's enough for starters.
Quote:i may suddenly need to edit a file on a remote host. most likely i have not set up the connect up for X windows. most like the remote host has no X libraries (so X programs can't even run).
Thats exactly why i started using Vim. And then i started liking Vim. And then i started disliking bloated IDE's. Then i use Tmux to split the terminal into as many as i need, usually for execution. Then i prefer to have my .vimrc file for making coding python easier, but i dont really need it. And make sure to set it to paste mode before pasting in code.
Recommended Tutorials:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Online Python Editors with Built-in Compilers Elon_Warner 0 647 Oct-04-2023, 08:35 PM
Last Post: Elon_Warner
  what stand-alone python-aware open-source editors are around? Skaperen 14 2,063 Jun-11-2023, 11:12 PM
Last Post: Skaperen
  different programming languages/words in text editors alok 7 3,495 Jul-05-2021, 03:46 PM
Last Post: alok
  Python editors srm 2 2,169 Mar-03-2020, 10:28 AM
Last Post: snippsat
  text editors with Python Skaperen 4 128,851 Dec-02-2019, 08:16 PM
Last Post: Larz60+
  Text Editors! TrueStudentOfPython 7 4,463 Nov-27-2018, 01:26 AM
Last Post: Larz60+
  [split] Python Editors Wiki Updates metulburr 0 2,569 Nov-09-2017, 06:47 PM
Last Post: metulburr