Python Forum
feature request: highlighting
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
feature request: highlighting
we already have bold, italics, underline, and strikethrough, for text.  i'd like to add to that: highlighting, in at least 2 colors, or maybe a color menu version. these are common colors.  maybe this can be done by integrating background color with text color.

maybe there are objections like "i don't want color on pages i read".  but this is not hard to do in HTML.
Tradition is peer pressure from dead people

What do you call someone who speaks three languages? Trilingual. Two languages? Bilingual. One language? American.
we did just recently add inline code whihc is meant to highlight a specific word or words.
Recommended Tutorials:
I would be wary to give users colors this easily. We already have lots of 1-posters who misuse the size of letters in hope of getting answers faster
(Jan-25-2017, 08:56 AM)Kebap Wrote: I would be wary to give users colors this easily. We already have lots of 1-posters who misuse the size of letters in hope of getting answers faster

At least
you haven't got
the guy that
centers everything.
Unless noted otherwise, code in my posts should be understood as "coding suggestions", and its use may require more neurones than the two necessary for Ctrl-C/Ctrl-V.
Your one-stop place for all your GIMP needs: gimp-forum.net
Hint: colors are already available there ;)
you can already change the text color

But that looks horrible and doesnt do anything other than make it harder to read. To be honest if someone posted a lot with text color change enough to make it hard to read, we would just remove the formatting with an edit.
Recommended Tutorials:
(Jan-25-2017, 08:56 AM)Kebap Wrote: I would be wary to give users colors this easily. We already have lots of 1-posters who misuse the size of letters in hope of getting answers faster

what about requiring some kind of better status for the user to be able to use "higher" editing features like colors and size?

made 5 posts over the past 72 hours

received 3 private messages over the past 336 hours and read them don't PM spammers

(Jan-25-2017, 03:31 AM)metulburr Wrote: we did just recently add inline code whihc is meant to highlight a specific word or words.

ah, so that's what that does.
Tradition is peer pressure from dead people

What do you call someone who speaks three languages? Trilingual. Two languages? Bilingual. One language? American.
(Jan-26-2017, 06:17 AM)Skaperen Wrote:

what about requiring some kind of better status for the user to be able to use "higher" editing features like colors and size?

Yeah, we could forbid that for posters below 5 posts.

@metulburr, what do you think? Remove those buttons should be enough, or also ignore the bbcode?
The BBcodes are a little more complex to adjust to usergroup permissions. 

There is an option to globally kill it. If you wanted to restrict the BBcodes to usergroups, it would involved core changes. It is also a pain in the ass to not show the BBcode buttons, as they are all laid out together at once in javascript. This is the same reason why the BBcode Help button is not with the BBcode buttons, because i couldnt get it there. 

Do we need that to begin with? Most new users text alteration is not due to them manually changing it, but because they copied it from the web, and the editor is retaining the text formatting.
Recommended Tutorials:
If it's too complicated, nah.

I will review the next few users doing this, maybe it's just like you assume, and this wouldn't benefit anyway.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Undo (Ctrl+z) doesn't work on highlighting CynthiaMoore 8 8,283 Apr-25-2020, 05:00 AM
Last Post: buran
  Feature request: custom error message for "no new posts" league55 4 3,514 Jan-25-2018, 01:19 AM
Last Post: league55
  syntax highlighting metulburr 57 44,212 Oct-05-2016, 05:11 AM
Last Post: Larz60+