Python Forum
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
say 1st or 2nd?
suppose my function returns a 2-list or 2-tuple to the caller. documenting this function needs to refer to the item that would be accessed with [1]. should the text in this documentation refer to this as the "2nd" item or the "1st" item or the "[1]" item?
Tradition is peer pressure from dead people

What do you call someone who speaks three languages? Trilingual. Two languages? Bilingual. One language? American.
Is it not possible to avoid that problem altogether, by using a named tuple, dict or a class so that you can refer to the items by meaningful names? It sounds like the data is structured in some way, rather than merely being a collection of items. Modelling that structure enhances the expressiveness of the code.
which of those would you suggest if keeping the efforts of who is coding the caller as simple as possible and 2nd importance is my effort coding and documenting the function?

What do you call someone who speaks three languages? Trilingual. Two languages? Bilingual. One language? American.
I think all 3 are pretty easy to write and for a caller to use. Personally, I prefer named tuples or classes over dicts because they allow you to name the structure itself (as opposed to just the fields). That's clearly good for documentation, too. I don't know whether named tuples already implement __eq__ and __hash__ should you need them.
Quote:suppose my function returns a 2-list or 2-tuple to the caller. documenting this function needs to refer to the item that would be accessed with [1]. should the text in this documentation refer to this as the "2nd" item or the "1st" item or the "[1]" item?

Yes, this was a problem before typehints were invented.
Now we can document code, giving the IDE better context and static type checking with mypy.

Often document strings hold too much information about types of arguments. Using instead typehints will prevent the information bloat in the docstring.

from typing import NamedTuple

class Result(NamedTuple):
    """
    This instance is a result ...
    """
    a: int
    b: str

def some_function(iterations: int, name: str) -> Result:
    """
    This function does nothing useful
    """
    return Result(42, 23)

if __name__ == "__main__":
    res = some_function(None, None)
    a, b = some_function(1, "foo")
    b = some_function(1, "foo")
If you put this code in your IDE, the IDE should detect the errors in the code.
For example Result expects one int and one str, but in the function call it's called with two integers.
I named this example epl_test.py. Don't ask why..

Output:
andre@andre-GP70-2PE:~$ python epl_test.py andre@andre-GP70-2PE:~$
No error? All fine?

Output:
andre@andre-GP70-2PE:~$ mypy epl_test.py epl_test.py:16: error: Argument 2 to "Result" has incompatible type "int"; expected "str" epl_test.py:20: error: Argument 1 to "some_function" has incompatible type "None"; expected "int" epl_test.py:20: error: Argument 2 to "some_function" has incompatible type "None"; expected "str" epl_test.py:22: error: Incompatible types in assignment (expression has type "Result", variable has type "str") Found 4 errors in 1 file (checked 1 source file) andre@andre-GP70-2PE:~$
The corrected version:
from typing import NamedTuple

class Result(NamedTuple):
    """
    This instance is a result ...
    """
    a: int
    b: str

def some_function(iterations: int, name: str) -> Result:
    """
    This function does nothing useful
    """
    return Result(42, "23")

if __name__ == "__main__":
    a, b = some_function(1, "foo")
Output:
andre@andre-GP70-2PE:~$ python epl_test2.py andre@andre-GP70-2PE:~$ mypy epl_test2.py Success: no issues found in 1 source file
I'm very lazy of writing docstrings, but I use regularly typehints to document my code better. So later I come back and see direct, which input/output types are required and the docstring holds only information, what the function does with some additional info about arguments, but not their types. The types should not declared in the docstring, if the type annotation is used. Otherwise, after a code change the comment/docstring could be misleading.

We all know this situation. The comment or doctstring says a function will return True and in reality the function returns False. Wall
Almost dead, but too lazy to die: https://sourceserver.info
All humans together. We don't need politicians!
i have some more complex (complicated?) "type" checking. a valid value could be a list or tuple where every item is a list or tuple where every item at the 2nd level is a str or bytes that is not an empty string. this represents a POSIX shell pipeline of commands like this useless command example:
pipeline = [[b'ls',b'-l'],('tail','-n'+str(count)),some_command,['cut','-c','12-']][
other, less complex, cases include making sure the type of 2 arguments is the same.