Python Forum
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
getters and setters
the "Raymond Hettinger - Beyond PEP 8 -- Best practices for beautiful intelligible code - PyCon 2015" that has been linked to a few times around here talks about "getters and setters" and suggests they are not pythonic.  can someone verify this and tell me what to have instead, with real code examples?
Tradition is peer pressure from dead people

What do you call someone who speaks three languages? Trilingual. Two languages? Bilingual. One language? American.
They're unnecessary because of properties. Just extra code. Python is supposed to be lean. (You can Google "python properties" for "real code examples.")
To add, even properties should only really be used when the getter/setter needs to do actual work. You don't need to (and shouldn't) use them just because you think you need getters/setters.

For example if you have a rect class and want to be able to set/get a "center" property. The set/get functions would alter the actual object attributes appropriately.

This tut I did goes into that a bit (and descriptors):
https://python-forum.io/Thread-Classes-a...escriptors
(May-13-2017, 03:14 AM)Mekire Wrote: To add, even properties should only really be used when the getter/setter needs to do actual work.  You don't need to (and shouldn't) use them just because you think you need getters/setters.

For example if you have a rect class and want to be able to set/get a "center" property.  The set/get functions would alter the actual object attributes appropriately.

what if ... the original non-pythonic implementation worked like this?

thing.set_geometry( height=51, width=184 )
how would i make a more pythonic implementation of the API the doesn't require client code changes?

What do you call someone who speaks three languages? Trilingual. Two languages? Bilingual. One language? American.
(May-13-2017, 04:33 AM)Skaperen Wrote:
(May-13-2017, 03:14 AM)Mekire Wrote: To add, even properties should only really be used when the getter/setter needs to do actual work.  You don't need to (and shouldn't) use them just because you think you need getters/setters.

For example if you have a rect class and want to be able to set/get a "center" property.  The set/get functions would alter the actual object attributes appropriately.

what if ... the original non-pythonic implementation worked like this?

thing.set_geometry( height=51, width=184 )
how would i make a more pythonic implementation of the API the doesn't require client code changes?

This is not a setter, this is only a method called set-something. Setters deal with a single attribute (which is why they are heinous).
Unless noted otherwise, code in my posts should be understood as "coding suggestions", and its use may require more neurones than the two necessary for Ctrl-C/Ctrl-V.
Your one-stop place for all your GIMP needs: gimp-forum.net
my new class has set_opts() and get_opts().  set_opts() works from named options.  get_opts() returns a dict with the options.  an additional feature: set_opts() returns a dict of unrecognized options.  this new class has 8 options (there are not setters or getters for individual options because of so many).

(May-15-2017, 03:09 AM)Skaperen Wrote: my new class has set_opts() and get_opts().  set_opts() works from named options.  get_opts() returns a dict with the options.  an additional feature: set_opts() returns a dict of unrecognized options.  this new class has 8 options (there are not setters or getters for individual options because of so many).

The problem with getters/setters is not code verbosity. It is that they allow inconsistent states. If you rename some "Marmaduke Skaperen" to "Alexandre-Benoit Ofnuts" with setters on first name and last name, your object can temporarily be set to "Marmaduke Ofnuts" or "Alexandre-Benoit Skaperen".
Unless noted otherwise, code in my posts should be understood as "coding suggestions", and its use may require more neurones than the two necessary for Ctrl-C/Ctrl-V.
(May-15-2017, 06:18 AM)Ofnuts Wrote:
(May-15-2017, 03:09 AM)Skaperen Wrote: my new class has set_opts() and get_opts().  set_opts() works from named options.  get_opts() returns a dict with the options.  an additional feature: set_opts() returns a dict of unrecognized options.  this new class has 8 options (there are not setters or getters for individual options because of so many).

The problem with getters/setters is not code verbosity. It is that they allow inconsistent states. If you rename some "Marmaduke Skaperen" to "Alexandre-Benoit Ofnuts" with setters on first name and last name, your object can temporarily be set to "Marmaduke Ofnuts" or "Alexandre-Benoit Skaperen".

but ... should i change this part of my code?

def get_opts(self):
        return {
            'gutter':  self.gutter,
            'width':   self.width,
            'height':  self.height,
            'height2': self.height2,
            'top':     self.top,
            'left':    self.left,
            'right':   self.right,
            'bottom':  self.bottom,
        }
    def set_opts(self,**opts):
        for o in option_names_all:
            if o in opts:
                v = opts.pop(o)
                if v != None:
                    setattr(self,'_'+o,v)
        return opts

No, if all the values are completely independent of each other. This said, seeing a dictionary with constant keys usually triggers my named tuple reflex.....
what should i do in place of that dictionary of constant keys and/or the function that returns it?

i am thinking of making it be a global to the module and have the get_opts() function return (maybe a copy) of it and also have the set_opts() function use the keys from it in place of option_names_all in the inner loop scanning the passed option, so there just a single place defining what are the options to set and what are the options to get.  it would still by a dictionary with constant keys.

what is a named tuple reflex?

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Can property getters and setters have additional arguments? pjfarley3 2 3,042 Oct-30-2020, 12:17 AM
Last Post: pjfarley3
  rework of a little python-script - extending getters and setters apollo 7 4,234 Nov-04-2018, 01:37 PM
Last Post: snippsat