Python Forum
hardest week yet: some guidence please
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
hardest week yet: some guidence please
I am trying to get just the user name that is between invalid user and from the following code is what i have
with open("auth.log.1") as auth_log:
    for line in auth_log:
        if "Failed password" in line:
            start = line.find("invalid user")
            end = line.find(" from")
            name = line[start:end]
            print("{}".format(name))
I think this is my problem because it prints out "invalid user" and the user name

I want it to start with the space after the r in user. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance

This is my output

Output:
invalid user root invalid user root invalid user root invalid user root invalid user root invalid user root invalid user root invalid user root invalid user root invalid user root invalid user root invalid user root invalid user root invalid user root invalid user root
The find method returns the start of the substring in the string. So your start variable is set to the beginning of the word 'user', that is, to the 'u'. You want to add five to it so your slice skips over the word 'user' and the space after it.
Craig "Ichabod" O'Brien - xenomind.com
I wish you happiness.
Recommended Tutorials: BBCode, functions, classes, text adventures
(Aug-17-2019, 02:13 AM)ichabod801 Wrote: The find method returns the start of the substring in the string. So your start variable is set to the beginning of the word 'user', that is, to the 'u'. You want to add five to it so your slice skips over the word 'user' and the space after it.

I tried this which is what I think you mean
 start = line.find("invalid user"[5:])
But it only takes out inval
I can only go up to 9 then it changes everything from
Output:
id user root id user root id user root id user root id user root id user root id user root id user root id user roo
to this
Output:
er sshd[6488]: Failed password for invalid user root er sshd[6490]: Failed password for invalid user root er sshd[6490]: message repeated 2 times: [ Failed password for invalid user root er sshd[6492]: Failed password for invalid user root er sshd[6488]: message repeated 5 times: [ Failed password for invalid user root er sshd[6492]: message repeated 2 times: [ Failed password for invalid user root er sshd[6494]: Failed password for invalid user root er sshd[6496]: Failed password for invalid user root er sshd[6494]: message repeated 2 times: [ Failed password for invalid user root er sshd[6501]: Failed password for invalid user root er sshd[6496]: message repeated 5 times: [ Failed password for invalid user root er sshd[6503]: Failed password for invalid user root er sshd[6501]: message repeated 2 times: [ Failed password for invalid user root
Just add five to start. Don't slice something else. Add five to start. And that's assuming you are searching for 'user', so you need 5 characters to get past 'user '. If you are going to change the string you are searching for to 'Invalid user', you need to account for the extra length of that string. So you would need to add 13 to start. Note that if you were to slice 'Invalid user' by 13, you would get nothing. That's why you don't do that.
Craig "Ichabod" O'Brien - xenomind.com
I wish you happiness.
Recommended Tutorials: BBCode, functions, classes, text adventures
(Aug-17-2019, 01:43 PM)ichabod801 Wrote: Just add five to start. Don't slice something else. Add five to start. And that's assuming you are searching for 'user', so you need 5 characters to get past 'user '. If you are going to change the string you are searching for to 'Invalid user', you need to account for the extra length of that string. So you would need to add 13 to start. Note that if you were to slice 'Invalid user' by 13, you would get nothing. That's why you don't do that.

I know that is what I need to do I just cant figure out were it goes

I have tried it in many different places in the code
start = line.find("invalid user")+13
Add 13 which is the length of "invalid user " (including the space)
(Aug-17-2019, 05:15 PM)jefsummers Wrote:
start = line.find("invalid user")+13
Add 13 which is the length of "invalid user " (including the space)

about the only thing i did not try......I was putting every attempt into []

Thank you very much
I am on step 4 now.
I think I am doing pretty good but I have a couple issues. I am uncertain if it is actually removing dupes but keeping count of number of times a user name attempts to log in.

My other issue is my print string is wrong and I cant figure out how to make the first {} my count and second {} the user name. I am certain it is in my format

intruder_log = {}

with open("auth.log.1") as auth_log:

for line in auth_log:
        if "Failed password" in line:
            end = line.find(" from")
            name = line[start + 13:end]

if name in intruder_log:
                intruder_log[name] += 1
            else:
                intruder_log[name] = 1

for key in intruder_log:
                print("Attackers tried {} times to log in as {}".format, key["name"])
First, you're printing the format method, not calling it. When you do call it, it takes multiple arguments, in the same order as the placeholders, e.g.

>>> "{} {} {}".format("foo", "bar", "baz")
'foo bar baz'
>>> 
Also, key will be assigned the values of the keys in the dict, so the expression key["name"] doesn't make any sense.
I get that now but that leeds to my other issue is my code counting how many time a user name is used.

(Aug-18-2019, 06:44 PM)ndc85430 Wrote: First, you're printing the format method, not calling it. When you do call it, it takes multiple arguments, in the same order as the placeholders, e.g.

>>> "{} {} {}".format("foo", "bar", "baz")
'foo bar baz'
>>> 
Also, key will be assigned the values of the keys in the dict, so the expression key["name"] doesn't make any sense.

So I am thinking that my print statement should look like this with the exception that i need 2 keys or values 1 being the name the other number of attempts but I cant call for the number of attempts because I think it is not counting

for key in intruder_log:
                print("Attackers tried {} times to log in as {}".format("name"))# i need to add my second {}

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Calculating the number of day of the week RbaPhoenix 3 2,486 Mar-27-2020, 09:23 PM
Last Post: Larz60+
  week 1 python help - string formatting ? raymond2688 20 7,782 Jul-09-2019, 08:10 PM
Last Post: snippsat
  Trying to get the week number from a string of numbers fad3r 2 3,194 Apr-15-2018, 06:52 PM
Last Post: ljmetzger