Python Forum
help with replacing charactersdef fix(block): alf = ['a', 'b', 'c', ' in a string
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
help with replacing charactersdef fix(block): alf = ['a', 'b', 'c', ' in a string
I want to take a string and replace every letter in the string with the second to next letter in the alphabet. eg(a => c, b => d). My code changes the string does not save and will change back to the original string when changing the next letter. Thanks for any help

def fix(block):
    alf = ['a', 'b', 'c', 'd', 'e', 'f', 'g', 'h', 'i', 'j', 'k', 'l', 'm', 'n', 'o', 'p', 'q', 'r', 's', 't', 'u', 'v', 'w', 'x', 'y', 'z']
    cur = 0
    old = 0
    new = 2

while cur < 26:
        new_block = []
        get = block.replace(alf[old], alf[new])
        old = old + 1
        new = new + 1
        cur = cur + 1
        return get
(Apr-18-2017, 01:43 PM)Marshall_99 Wrote: I want to take a string and replace every letter in the string with the second to next letter in the alphabet. eg(a => c, b => d). My code changes the string does not save and will change back to the original string when changing the next letter. Thanks for any help

def fix(block):
    alf = ['a', 'b', 'c', 'd', 'e', 'f', 'g', 'h', 'i', 'j', 'k', 'l', 'm', 'n', 'o', 'p', 'q', 'r', 's', 't', 'u', 'v', 'w', 'x', 'y', 'z']
    cur = 0
    old = 0
    new = 2

while cur < 26:
        new_block = [] #nevermind this 
        get = block.replace(alf[old], alf[new])
        old = old + 1
        new = new + 1
        cur = cur + 1
        return get
Here are the issues in your code:
  1. You always replace in the same block - overwriting get with the latest replacement operation result
  2. You don't check crossing list boundaries
  3. Remember p.1? It does not matter, because you exit after first iteration!
  4. You may end up replacing character many times - if you replace 'a' with 'c', then you'll replace 'c' with 'e', etc
  5. There are better ways to manage loop!
  6. There is module string that contains ascii_lowercase constant - well, that you may not have known
  7. Variable names - well, they are not very successful
Since you have shown some effort - here is the proper way to do it (I hope it is not homework)
from string import ascii_lowercase
def fix(word, char_offset=2):
    new_word = ''
    for char_ in word:
        # Get index of replacement character and keep it below 26, so for "z" it will be "b"
        char_index = ascii_lowercase.find(char_)
        if char_index > -1:
            replacement_index =  (char_index + char_offset) % 26
            new_word += ascii_lowercase[replacement_index]
         else:
            new_word += char_
    return new_word
PS I did not test the code - if there are some glitches, I leave fixing them to you as an excercise
Test everything in a Python shell (iPython, Azure Notebook, etc.)
  • Someone gave you an advice you liked? Test it - maybe the advice was actually bad.
  • Someone gave you an advice you think is bad? Test it before arguing - maybe it was good.
  • You posted a claim that something you did not test works? Be prepared to eat your hat.
(Apr-18-2017, 07:14 PM)volcano63 Wrote: here is the proper way to do it (I hope it is not homework)
Okay way,he will get full score if teacher is not full out Pythonic python
Look like a typicality homework task.
So when we are in solution modus. 

char = ascii_lowercase
    for index,item in enumerate(word, char_offset):
        yield char[index]
Test:
>>> s = 'abcde'
>>> ''.join(fix(s))
'cdefg'
>>> list(fix(s))
['c', 'd', 'e', 'f', 'g']
(Apr-18-2017, 08:45 PM)snippsat Wrote:
(Apr-18-2017, 07:14 PM)volcano63 Wrote: here is the proper way to do it (I hope it is not homework)
Okay way,he will get full score if teacher is not full out Pythonic python
Look like a typicality homework task.
So when we are in solution modus. 

char = ascii_lowercase
    for index,item in enumerate(word, char_offset):
        yield char[index]

Wow! Could you please explain how that runs without exception?
>>> list(fix('xyz'))

['c', 'd', 'e']
Ooops, aren't you a sneaky one?
  • Someone gave you an advice you liked? Test it - maybe the advice was actually bad.
  • Someone gave you an advice you think is bad? Test it before arguing - maybe it was good.
  • You posted a claim that something you did not test works? Be prepared to eat your hat.
(Apr-18-2017, 09:00 PM)volcano63 Wrote: Ooops, aren't you a sneaky one?
He a little quick,tested only start Blush
(Apr-18-2017, 09:22 PM)snippsat Wrote:
(Apr-18-2017, 09:00 PM)volcano63 Wrote: Ooops, aren't you a sneaky one?
He a little quick,tested only start Blush

I should have caught it earlier, but after couple of weeks of insomnia .... Cry And it looked so convincing  Confused
So a fix.
   a = ord('a')
   return ''.join(chr((ord(char) - a + char_offset) % 26 + a) for char in word.lower())
Test:
>>> fix('abc')
'cde'
>>> fix('xyz')
'zab'
I think also that deque that has build in rotate,
and maybe combo with str.maketrans could be okay.
(Apr-18-2017, 11:20 PM)snippsat Wrote: I think also that deque that has build in rotate,
and maybe combo with str.maketrans could be okay.

Now you are showing off  LOL
Thank you both for all your help! Don't worry it was not homework, just my own challenge.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Replacing String Variable with a new String Name kevv11 2 774 Jul-29-2023, 12:03 PM
Last Post: snippsat
  Replacing a words' letters in a string cananb 2 3,457 Dec-01-2020, 06:33 PM
Last Post: perfringo
  Replacing characters in a string with a list cjms981 1 1,816 Dec-30-2019, 10:50 PM
Last Post: micseydel
  Replacing all letters in a string apart from the first letter in each word Carbonix 9 4,922 Jan-17-2019, 09:29 AM
Last Post: buran
  Replacing letters on a string via location Owenix 2 2,463 Sep-16-2018, 10:59 AM
Last Post: gruntfutuk
  Replacing variable in a split string and write new file python MyCode 1 3,557 Oct-30-2017, 05:20 AM
Last Post: heiner55