Python Forum
how many do side by side windows for coding?
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
how many do side by side windows for coding?
i'm curious how many coders do side-by-side windows for code comparing and other things like snipping code from examples (like how to build an email to send if it's your first time to code something that sends email). i've realized that over the past year i have never used a side-by-side display of code, even though my display is big enough to do so. i've been using a wider window so my code can go beyond 80 characters, which it needs to do often enough that i am gladi do it this way.

i guess the issue comes down to which is better to have, the ability to read two scripts in parallel or the ability to avoid wrapping code that uses many more longer names to the next line. i have needed the latter far more often (at least a dozen times a week) than the former (never in the past year).
Tradition is peer pressure from dead people

What do you call someone who speaks three languages? Trilingual. Two languages? Bilingual. One language? American.
I do it all the time using VSCode as an IDE
I rarely do it. I frequently have two windows open, but the second one is for running the code, not the code itself. The one time I do it is documentation reviews with large sections of code, like a class with a lot of methods. I'll leave one window on the docstring, and scroll through the code checking the docstring in the other window.
Craig "Ichabod" O'Brien - xenomind.com
I wish you happiness.
Recommended Tutorials: BBCode, functions, classes, text adventures
how much do you put in the docstring?
Tradition is peer pressure from dead people

What do you call someone who speaks three languages? Trilingual. Two languages? Bilingual. One language? American.
For a class, I put in one line description with the parent class, any extra description I think is essential to understanding the class, and a one line description of every class attribute (with type), every instance attribute (with type), every method (with return type), and every overridden method.

I can often review that without two screens. But for the last release of t_games I had a GinRummy class with 800 lines of code. Scrolling back and forth to check/fix things became too tedious, so I opened another window.
Craig "Ichabod" O'Brien - xenomind.com
I wish you happiness.
Recommended Tutorials: BBCode, functions, classes, text adventures

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  side effects in f-strings Skaperen 0 1,656 Sep-08-2019, 01:26 AM
Last Post: Skaperen