Python Forum
i need a better IDE/editor
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
i need a better IDE/editor
i need a better IDE/editor than what i am using now (emacs). i just had another case where i needed to "wrap" a large block of code in an "if test" to be sure it would not be run in a certain case. of course it is a good thing for the resulting code that everything is indented, and it is a good thing that Python forces this. in so many other languages like C and Java, it is tempting to put in the { and } and just not indent. but then, the code is forever spoiled and no good to read.

what i need is being able to insert the "if ... :" line and the editor will give me the opportunity to specify or highlight the block this test controls (same for other things like "else:" and "try:") and make the proper indenting (and colorizing). now to find one written in Python that can do the editing in a text environment (not depend on XWindows) which i have, but is obscured from programs by unsetting DISPLAY.
Tradition is peer pressure from dead people

What do you call someone who speaks three languages? Trilingual. Two languages? Bilingual. One language? American.
Most of the good IDE's will allow you to dictate what should be colored what.
I know you can do this with PyCharm which is what I am familiar with, but I there
are others.

As we all have said time and again, an IDE is personal thing, and you have to try
them on like a suit until you find one that fits your needs.

For a list, start with google search on 'Python IDE's'

One I have had bad experience with is eclipse. It seems to work ok, but has a huge garbage footprint,
and doesn't clean up after itself.

I was an Emacs (left over from my C days)user before eclipse, and then settled on PyCharm.
I find that the customization, version control, and much more are very well documented and easy (for the most part) to use.
what i think i am looking for is an editor (or editor part of an IDE) that let's me "enter" code in a more logical construct, rather than merely typing each character of the code. it would be more than buttons for keywords. i'm thinking something that lets me "lay out" the structure and put in linear code in the structure sections, and colorize by completion.

a generator could fun in such an editor.

What do you call someone who speaks three languages? Trilingual. Two languages? Bilingual. One language? American.
(Jan-20-2018, 03:25 AM)Skaperen Wrote: the editor will give me the opportunity to specify or highlight the block this test controls
In Kate (or Kdevelop), I can select an arbitrary block of code and type Ctrl-I to indent more and Ctr-Shift-I to indent less. There is also Ctrl-D to comment out and Ctrl-Shift-D to uncomment. Cool

The selection of the block also works from the keyboard with Shift-DownArrow or Shift-UpArrow.
Are you talking about something like Emet ( Youtube ) but for Python?
"As they say in Mexico 'dosvidaniya'. That makes two vidaniyas."
https://freedns.afraid.org
Py charm is the best ide i have ever used!
Quote:what i think i am looking for is an editor (or editor part of an IDE) that let's me "enter" code in a more logical construct, rather than merely typing each character of the code
Part of PyCharm.
You need to try some IDE's on to make a decision.
Nobody can make that decision for you.
right, but maybe someone can tell me of ones to avoid or point me towards a list that compares feature, to speed up my search.

First site that popped up when I searched "Python IDE's" : https://wiki.python.org/moin/IntegratedD...vironments
If it ain't broke, I just haven't gotten to it yet.
OS: Windows 10, openSuse 42.3, freeBSD 11, Raspian "Stretch"
Python 3.6.5, IDE: PyCharm 2018 Community Edition
(Jan-21-2018, 02:24 PM)sparkz_alot Wrote: First site that popped up when I searched "Python IDE's" : https://wiki.python.org/moin/IntegratedD...vironments

Or even this
https://wiki.python.org/moin/PythonEditors
Recommended Tutorials: