Python Forum
i need a better IDE/editor
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
i need a better IDE/editor
ok guys - shoot me down in flames

i've used visual studio on windows platform - it was the only sanctioned ms specific one for the code i was writing

it DOES have a version for the cross platform but all the good stuff seems to get confused over on the linux side of things

i've JUST started python but explored and installed a lot of IDEs

atom was ok - nicely customisable
pycharm - - also pretty good

doing a trial of sublime text3 at the moment and it feels like a good fit - for me
that's the caveat - it feels good for me

check out the "sublime text full stack python ide" pages on google search
install it and try it

at the moment - for development - 8/10 - but i haven't tweaked it yet and i'm pretty sure it's going to be a 99/100 fairly soon as an IDE - python or otherwise

it just has a good feel about it and that's only something that comes with
use
familiarity
experience

as i said - new to python and software development in linux - but learning - every day

oh - and st3 is the only python "IDE" i've installed lately that hasn't taken my Linux box down after installation and fixing up all the dependencies

but that's probably me just being a linux numpty
(Jan-24-2018, 12:22 PM)foodmonkey Wrote: i've used visual studio on windows platform - it was the only sanctioned ms specific one for the code i was writing

it DOES have a version for the cross platform but all the good stuff seems to get confused over on the linux side of things
VS Code has support for all platform,and it's one of the most innovate editor out there.
Python support is excellent as Microsoft has hired the maker of the Python extinction(Don Jayamanne) for VS Code.
So need a editor for all platform is VS Code a much better choice,than Visual Studio.

For me VS Code has been my main editor for while and very happy with it,
as i need a multi-language editor in the category of(VS Code, Atom and Sublime text).
VS Code has really excellent support for web bases (HTML,CSS,JavaScript) languages.
I had quick review of VS Code here.
(Jan-20-2018, 05:43 AM)Skaperen Wrote: what i think i am looking for is an editor (or editor part of an IDE) that let's me "enter" code in a more logical construct, rather than merely typing each character of the code. it would be more than buttons for keywords. i'm thinking something that lets me "lay out" the structure and put in linear code in the structure sections, and colorize by completion.

a generator could fun in such an editor.

Ever played around with Smalltalk? The editor is the executing environment is the platform is the live debugger. There are very few actual keywords, because almost everything is a method call on an object. It's a very different way to program, but it sounds similar to the editor you're looking for, and I don't know of anything like that for python.
PyQt (Python) based:

- https://github.com/spyder-ide/spyder
- https://github.com/leo-editor/leo-editor

"i'm thinking something that lets me "lay out" the structure and put in linear code in the structure sections..."

Check out leo's abbreviations:

http://leoeditor.com/tutorial-pim.html#u...-templates