Python Forum
install libraries on device without internet
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
install libraries on device without internet
Hello everyone,

I'm new to this forum and I have several questions to ask for help!

first, I saw some python alternative in here:

https://www.python.org/download/alternatives/

I'm looking for python alternative for programming numeric\scientific calculations, electronic instrument control (RS232, GPIB, USB). Having some camera image\video control and processing could be nice. I want it to have comfortable editor and compiler (more than the basic version) and all the required packages for the above applications - to work without internet connection.

For my case, the python alternative is to be installed in a computer without internet connection. therefore I want to install a version with all required packages included in advanced and start working.

I would be thankfull if anyone can direct me a suitable python alternative.

also, I have read some tutorial and found some online exercise, but I feel I will learn much more by some project and not an exercise.

Can someone direct me to some educational project list? (I'm a PhD in physics, and though I didn't know python I think I catch it fast and simple exercise practice are too trivial)

Thanks everyone!
for instrument control, you can use the PyVisa package
see: https://pyvisa.readthedocs.io/en/master/ to take a look.

As far as python version, you could use Anaconda, but before making your selection, I'd download and read (or at least skim): www.southampton.ac.uk/~fangohr/training/python/pdfs/Python-for-Computational-Science-and-Engineering.pdf
The package availability allows you to customize the standard python to suit your needs.

Image control packages are available

You may want to take a look at www.PyPi.org and skim some of the 160,043 packages available
Any one of these packages can be added to standard python with the following simple command:
pip install packagename
As for editor, etc, I would recommend (and a lot of moderators will join me on this) VSCode
which has pretty much everything you need available on demand.
Here's a tutorial on how to properly install: https://python-forum.io/Thread-VS-Code-f...ght=VSCode

Quote:but I feel I will learn much more by some project and not an exercise.
couldn't agree more. I think this is the way that I learned all languages, even after formal education.

I did a lot of instrumentation control (I'm retired now) mainly in the field of spectra-chemical engineering.
Couldn't use python at the time, it was free, so management decided it unsuitable. It would have made life easier.
For numeric, statistical, and scientific calculations you might look at the numpy and pandas packages.

If you are looking for a project to learn Python with, you might check out our list of programming challenges and ideas.
Craig "Ichabod" O'Brien - xenomind.com
I wish you happiness.
Recommended Tutorials: BBCode, functions, classes, text adventures
(Nov-29-2018, 05:16 PM)mrish Wrote: I'm looking for python alternative for programming numeric\scientific calculations, electronic instrument control (RS232, GPIB, USB). Having some camera image\video control and processing could be nice. I want it to have comfortable editor and compiler (more than the basic version) and all the required packages for the above applications - to work without internet connection.
Quote:the python alternative is to be installed in a computer without internet connection
You can download python and any 3rd party libs you need to a USB stick and install it on a computer without internet. You dont have to install something like Anaconda (although you could).
Recommended Tutorials:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  install libraries on device without internet lacaca 1 1,937 Feb-13-2019, 10:28 AM
Last Post: Larz60+