Python Forum
is there a better place to talk about pypy here?
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
is there a better place to talk about pypy here?
edit: my question in the title was answered when someone moved this to "news and discussions." to be honest, i never really noticed the "and discussions" part, which would have made it clearer.

just wanted to say that im very happy with pypy, ive been reading their mailing list from 2014 to 2017, i know people talk about other python implementations on this forum sometimes.

they continue to work on making pypy more compatible with both major versions of python, though i realise its probably still a bit weak for a number of things. i doubt theres going to be a huge migration from the reference implementation that is always getting updated from the python foundation.

my main interest in pypy is as a continuation of older python code past the point where the foundation drops support for 2.x. but pypy is not a 2.x-only implementation, so anyone looking for a way to run "legacy" python code should probably keep watching pypy.

speaking personally, i am always learning, but i dont like being driven from one paradigm to another. i use the tools that help me make the most of what im working on, and i expect everyone else to do the same.

whats nice about pypy is it seems to completely lack an attitude that users should do one thing or another. its there to support existing code, and support multiple options, and it even supports (as best as it is able, with ongoing efforts) doing new things. obviously, python 2.x isnt going to gain any new tricks, but pypy provides an upward path without pushing people that (after several years of failing to fall in line with the "future"-- or rather present-- of python development) still have some reason to stay where they are.

at worst, i think what theyre doing is akin to building a very fast emulator-- emulators are (often) about making things run in a modern context, regardless of whether they are fully modern or not.

but at best-- speaking for me-- the fact that pypy is a thing makes python a whole lot nicer. it means that python continues to suit my purposes fully. i do hope i get an opportunity to send some money in their direction. ive put money into free software before.

i mostly use python to build things that i cant personally get working with newer versions. if i ever find a way to make things that dont break more often with newer python vs old-- i suspect i have a knack for "doing it wrong" and its not like i havent put in a LOT of effort already. a knack is a knack.

either way, i love pypy for giving me the choice. i will say that the one thing i still cant do (but others have) is run pygame with it. but its still not 2020 yet.
Quote:edit: my question in the title was answered when someone moved this to "news and discussions." to be honest, i never really noticed the "and discussions" part, which would have made it clearer.
We put discussions last because new people tend to post what should be in General Coding Help, in discussions. A lot of people dont seem to understand the difference.
Recommended Tutorials:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  pypy and wing personal7 pfaber11 2 2,125 Jun-02-2019, 08:35 AM
Last Post: pfaber11
  Request for input on a talk I was asked to give Phoenix_ZA 4 3,184 Sep-17-2018, 10:24 AM
Last Post: Phoenix_ZA