Python Forum
is there a single function to confine a number between two others?
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
is there a single function to confine a number between two others?
is there a single function to confine a number between two others? i know i can do it with min() and max(), but that actually looks ugly. this should use 3 arguments.
Tradition is peer pressure from dead people

What do you call someone who speaks three languages? Trilingual. Two languages? Bilingual. One language? American.
You're asking if one number has a value between two others? I'd do that initially with the operators like

lower <= n <= upper
I'm not sure this is what you meant by "confine"...

If they're all integers, you can also test it from a range, but that won't work for floats.

n in range(lower, upper + 1)
It's quite simple to mimic built-in range for floats:

def float_range(start, stop, step):
    current = float(start)
    while current < stop:
        yield current
        current += step

print(*float_range(1, 3, 0.25)) -> 1.0 1.25 1.5 1.75 2.0 2.25 2.5 2.75
I'm not 'in'-sane. Indeed, I am so far 'out' of sane that you appear a tiny blip on the distant coast of sanity. Bucky Katt, Get Fuzzy

Da Bishop: There's a dead bishop on the landing. I don't know who keeps bringing them in here. ....but society is to blame.
this:
def confine(a,n,b):
    n=max(n,a)
    n=min(n,b)
    return n

What do you call someone who speaks three languages? Trilingual. Two languages? Bilingual. One language? American.
I've never heard of a single function that does that operation. I don't see anything wrong with your function as a solution. If you were golfing, you could reduce it to

return min(max(n,a),b)
but if your objection to the first is how it reads, I don't think that's an improvement.
how it reads in code the i want to be readable is my concern. the reduced code does not make it a readable as i want, hence my step-by-step in my confine() function.

i'm fine with using my own function. i have it in my big collection. i was just interested if i missed one in the Python library. but now i'm curious if someone can come up with a better name.

There's a Stackoverflow question on it, and other than a numpy solution (which is np.clip()), none of them appear to be as readable as your attempt to me.

I wasn't aware of it, but looks like a more common name for that function is clamp(), and some libraries might have an implementation, but not any in the standard library.
i like clamo better.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Checking the number of arguments a function takes Chirumer 3 2,111 Jul-06-2021, 04:56 PM
Last Post: Chirumer
  Why is the function returning None for a * b instead of number? omm 10 4,201 Nov-05-2020, 01:17 PM
Last Post: omm
  RuntimeError: Optimal parameters not found: Number of calls to function has reached m bntayfur 0 6,073 Aug-05-2020, 04:41 PM
Last Post: bntayfur
  basic random number generator in replace function krug123 2 2,006 Jul-31-2020, 01:02 PM
Last Post: deanhystad
  Counting number of occurrences of a single digit in a list python_newbie09 12 5,362 Aug-12-2019, 01:31 PM
Last Post: perfringo
  My function won't return the sum unless the last paramater is an odd number. Maximuskiller78 1 2,291 Sep-29-2018, 03:11 AM
Last Post: ichabod801
  Write lambda function in pyhhon to coy data from multiple JSON into a single JSON fil anandmn85 2 4,186 Apr-19-2018, 05:56 AM
Last Post: anandmn85
  argument parser: to execute single function, and subsequent functions also raghu 10 5,764 Mar-12-2018, 06:57 AM
Last Post: wavic
  function for a single string number of syllables tebirkes 2 4,445 Nov-02-2016, 03:44 PM
Last Post: Larz60+