Python Forum
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
largest source file
what is the largest source file we are allowed to include in a post beyond which we should use a link or a github project?
Tradition is peer pressure from dead people

What do you call someone who speaks three languages? Trilingual. Two languages? Bilingual. One language? American.
It depends on what it is, whether zipped or .py file. Most are limited to 500KB-1MB. I think if you are going to post a single source file, you should just post the code in code tags, if it is too big then instead post a link to the repo.

There is a maximum number of characters you can post, although quite high, is for stopping someone posting a massive post, etc. I have exceeded this amount on my tutorial posts by having large code in the posts which is why some of my tutorials are split into part1 part2, etc. I think if you come to that point, you should just post a link.

Or if you have multiple files that require you to label each code's filename or just upload multiple files here, etc. makes it a pain in the ass, and is much easier to just download a repo.

For general help though it should be under 15 lines anyways, not your whole program.
Recommended Tutorials:
whenever the discussion is, or could be, about things that will need to run the code, then i usually like to have the whole thing ... somewhere ... perhaps posting an interesting snip and linking the whole code.  also, i just want to make some things available to others.  a thing i recently created is 4 files with a total of 1043 lines.

i find that posting of large files is difficult and that double-click thing doesn't work (could be a firefox for linux incompatibility or bug) so saving a large file is even harder.  i prefer links.  but, what i have right now is my own webserver.

What do you call someone who speaks three languages? Trilingual. Two languages? Bilingual. One language? American.
Quote:that double-click thing doesn't work
Im on firefox + linux now and can double click code boxes to select all.
Recommended Tutorials:
i just tried it again on the first code seen in https://python-forum.io/Thread-Module-fo...ith-hashes and it still gives me only the one word the pointer is at when i do the double-click.

If you click like 3 times it deselects the code box which at that point you would have to select anywhere else on the page besides that code box for it to auto refresh, then try again.

Im wondering if this is what is happening to you.
Recommended Tutorials:
3 clicks just gives me the line the pointer was at when clicking.  and i do get that line when pasting.

3 clicks should give you the line, but that means you went too far. AFter that you would have to select outside of the box, and you will see the syntax highlighter flicker back on, then double click in the box to select all text
Recommended Tutorials: