Python Forum
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
looking 4 a py editor
i am looking for a new python editor.  i currently use emacs in text mode (it works in the same terminal window as the shell that i ran it from).  it looks like there are quite many out there as listed in the python.org wiki.  so i would like to pick a good one that:

1.  can operate in text mode, either by a command line option or just lack of the DISPLAY environment variable, in huge terminal screens i use.

2.  emulates emacs-like commands

3.  written in Python and/or C, preferably just Python.

4.  runs in Linux (at least Ubuntu).

5.  understands Python well (highlighting, indenting, etc.) without using harsh color combinations.

6.  any needed modules are in Ubuntu and/or pip repositories without having to add references.

7.  packaged in Ubuntu and/or pip repositories without having to add references -or- is all in one file that can be directly downloaded.

8.  feels "complete" and meets all the above without any plugins.

any suggestions?  do you use any?  ideas?
Tradition is peer pressure from dead people

What do you call someone who speaks three languages? Trilingual. Two languages? Bilingual. One language? American.
Because of this one requirement (or wish)
Quote:2.  emulates Emacs-like commands
why not emacs

Quote:While it’s an indisputable fact that Emacs is the best editor, we’ll (try to) keep an open mind and present Emacs objectively, from a fresh installation to a complete Python IDE so that you can make an informed decision when choosing your go-to Python IDE.
  • 1. OK
  • 2. See above.
  • 3. X - It is written in Lisp, which I know you dislike (loathe).
  • 4. OK
  • 5. Can't vouch for it, because I haven't used Emacs for quite a long time
  • 6. Self contained (or, i think, used to be)
  • 7. OK
  • 8. Again, can't vouch for it.
well, i do use emacs now, but its python handling seems rather weak (it fails #5).  something in python i could improve on, in theory.
Tradition is peer pressure from dead people

What do you call someone who speaks three languages? Trilingual. Two languages? Bilingual. One language? American.
I use Atom it can fill most of those requirement if install some packages.
I don't you think find any editor that has ll of without install packages/plugin,
the closed would bee PyCharm(has free a free Community edition).

Here a some packages and how it look for me in Atom.
2. emacs-mode
4. Atom runs on all OS
5. autocomplete-python with Jedi one of the out there.
atom-beautify auto indentation of many langues.

For run of python and pip install and i always use shell cmder(windows) Fish(Linux).
Here some pictures,Atom has pretty most all theme out there i like seti as i use here
Atom with cmder
Atom web-deveomplent Flask

As always is not easy to give advice about this,
because this is a personal preferences.