Python Forum
looking 4 py code: line up columns
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
looking 4 py code: line up columns
i am looking for a program to line up (white-space by default, otherwise specified string) separated columns, given in a list of strings (lines) for a function/module implementation, or in a file or stdin for a command implementation.  the columns should be left justified unless all rows of that column are decimal numbers in which case they are right justified. a more advanced version could also line up CIDR addresses so the '/' characters in them line up.
Tradition is peer pressure from dead people

What do you call someone who speaks three languages? Trilingual. Two languages? Bilingual. One language? American.
This tutorial gives some excellent examples of formatting.  https://docs.python.org/3/tutorial/input...formatting
If it ain't broke, I just haven't gotten to it yet.
OS: Windows 10, openSuse 42.3, freeBSD 11, Raspian "Stretch"
Python 3.6.5, IDE: PyCharm 2018 Community Edition
one of the complications of a program like this is that it needs to figure out the width of each column, for as many columns as are present, across all rows.  it also needs verify the datatype of each column across all rows.  and it gets more complex when working with different justifications on adjacent columns.

What do you call someone who speaks three languages? Trilingual. Two languages? Bilingual. One language? American.
I've done this before, I just can't remember where. It's not that hard. Loop through the columns, determining the maximum width of the string representations. Construct a format string (with {}'s) using the width information plus 1 or 2 spaces for a gutter. Loop through the rows, passing the row to the format method with * notation. Join the resulting strings with '\n'. You just have the added wrinkle of detecting numeric columns and putting that into the format specification.
Craig "Ichabod" O'Brien - xenomind.com
I wish you happiness.
Recommended Tutorials: BBCode, functions, classes, text adventures
How about Pandas module? print(pandas.DataFrame.from_records(data))
"As they say in Mexico 'dosvidaniya'. That makes two vidaniyas."
https://freedns.afraid.org
i mean text data that may be numbers or may be words and names, more often the latter.  i want to line them up for printing.  here is a list states i have been in and their capitals, lined up, sorted by state and boxed:
Output:
+---<STDIN>-------------------+ | Arkansas       Little_Rock  | | Delaware       Dover        | | Illinois       Springfield  | | Indiana        Indianapolis | | Kentucky       Frankfort    | | New_Jersey     Trenton      | | New_York       Albany       | | North_Carolina Raleigh      | | Ohilo          Columbus     | | Pennsylvania   Harrisburg   | | South_Carolina Columbia     | | Texas          Austin       | | Virginia       Richmond     | | West_Virginia  Charleston   | +-----------------------------+

Here's my attempt to recreate my code just after waking up:

states = [['Arkansas', 'Little_Rock'], ['Delaware', 'Dover'], ['Illinois', 'Springfield'], ['Indiana', 'Indianapolis'], 
   ['Kentucky', 'Frankfort'], ['New_Jersey', 'Trenton'], ['New_York', 'Albany'], ['North_Carolina', 'Raleigh'], 
   ['Ohilo', 'Columbus'], ['Pennsylvania', 'Harrisburg'], ['South_Carolina', 'Columbia'], ['Texas', 'Austin'], 
   ['Virginia', 'Richmond'], ['West_Virginia', 'Charleston']]

max_widths = []
for column_index in range(len(states[0])):
   column = [row[column_index] for row in states]
   max_widths.append(len(max([str(datum) for datum in column], key = len)))
specs = ['{{:<{}}}'.format(width) for width in max_widths]
format_spec = ' '.join(specs)
lines = [format_spec.format(*row) for row in states]
print('\n'.join(lines))
Here's the output:

Output:
Arkansas       Little_Rock Delaware       Dover        Illinois       Springfield Indiana        Indianapolis Kentucky       Frankfort    New_Jersey     Trenton      New_York       Albany       North_Carolina Raleigh      Ohilo          Columbus     Pennsylvania   Harrisburg   South_Carolina Columbia     Texas          Austin       Virginia       Richmond     West_Virginia  Charleston 
You would just need to vary the justification indicator in the format specification based on the type of the column.
Craig "Ichabod" O'Brien - xenomind.com
I wish you happiness.
Recommended Tutorials: BBCode, functions, classes, text adventures
String formatting as advised.
Example:
data = '''\
Arkansas,Little_Rock
Delaware,Dover
Illinois,Springfield
Indiana,Indianapolis
Kentucky,Frankfort'''

data_list = [line.split(',') for line in data.split('\n')]
header = ['State', 'Capital']

sf = "{:<10s} {:>5s}"
print(sf.format(*header))
print('-'*23)
for sublist in data_list:
   print(sf.format(*sublist))
print('-'*23)
Output:
State      Capital ----------------------- Arkansas   Little_Rock Delaware   Dover Illinois   Springfield Indiana    Indianapolis Kentucky   Frankfort -----------------------
(Jan-07-2017, 04:25 AM)ichabod801 Wrote: I've done this before, I just can't remember where. It's not that hard. Loop through the columns, determining the maximum width of the string representations. Construct a format string (with {}'s) using the width information plus 1 or 2 spaces for a gutter. Loop through the rows, passing the row to the format method with * notation. Join the resulting strings with '\n'. You just have the added wrinkle of detecting numeric columns and putting that into the format specification.

one thing i was looking for was to see how intermixing of column types was handled.  if left justified column is to the the left of a right justified column it leave open the option to squeeze them tighter.  would you (dare to) do that?  that's code i'd like to see.

FYI, i did this decades ago in 370 assembler ... with the justification mix.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  wanted: regex or code to find valide def statements in a line Skaperen 13 5,382 Mar-20-2020, 11:54 PM
Last Post: Skaperen