Python Forum
making a dictionary from a list, one key with multiple values in a list within a list
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
making a dictionary from a list, one key with multiple values in a list within a list
i have an assignment: and basically here it is and i get stuck on this.
write = W,
read = R,
execute= X.

The first line contains the number N — the number of files contained in the filesystem. The following N lines contain the file names and allowed operations with them, separated by spaces. The next line contains an integer M — the number of operations to the files. In the last M lines specify the operations that are requested for files. One file can be requested many times.

You need to recover the control over the access rights to the files. For each request your program should return OK if the requested operation is valid or Access denied if the operation is invalid.

the input is:
helloworld.exe R X
pinglog W R
nya R
goodluck X W R

read nya
write helloworld.exe
execute nya
read pinglog
write pinglog

the output:
OK
Access denied
Access denied
OK
OK

i am having trouble with making a dictionary. Just making a dictionary, the rest I think i can figure that out.
here is my code so far:
N = int(input())
lst =[]
W = "write"
R = "read"
X = "execute"
for lines in range(N):
    lines = str(input()).split()

print(lst)
this is not much. but it prints [['Helloworld', 'W', 'R'], ['pinglog', 'W'], ['data', 'X', 'W', 'R']]
and now i get stuck on how am i going to make it a dictionary. sorry for my last posts with no BB code...
Are you intending to turn the file data into a dictionary or something else? If so, I'm thinking of something like this:

file = {
    "name": "helloworld.exe",
    "read": True,
    "write": False,
    "execute": True
}
This way, you could easily retrieve the file permissions based on the requested action and run it through a conditional test. Of course, you'll need a function to adequately parse the file permissions and generate the dictionary for each file.
This will make the "Helloworld", "W", "R" parts into a dictionary, with Helloworld as the key and "W" and "R" as the values.

lst = [['Helloworld', 'W', 'R'], ['pinglog', 'W'], ['data', 'X', 'W', 'R']]

mydict = {}

for item in lst:
	vals = []
	for c in range(1, len(item)):
		print item
		vals.append(item[c]) 
		mydict[item[0]] = vals

print mydict["Helloworld"] # access an items values in the dict
Wow!!!! amazing! thank you very much!
If you're using Python 2.7 or higher, PEP 274 -- Dict Comprehensions may help you.

lst = [['Helloworld', 'W', 'R'], ['pinglog', 'W'], ['data', 'X', 'W', 'R']]
my_dict = {item[0] : item[1:] for item in lst}

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Sad IMC Calculator but with a list of patients Booba 1 959 Jun-11-2023, 07:21 AM
Last Post: deanhystad
  List joining deatz 14 3,192 Dec-21-2022, 03:34 AM
Last Post: deatz
  Help with list homework eyal123 5 1,631 Nov-18-2022, 03:46 PM
  How to sort a list with duplicates and return their unique indices. Echoroom 3 3,454 Sep-23-2022, 07:53 AM
  help with adding duplicates elements together in a list 2ECC3O 5 2,015 Sep-10-2022, 07:11 AM
Last Post: 2ECC3O
  how to reverse a list and store in another list in python SuperNinja3I3 6 3,277 Aug-14-2022, 06:36 PM
Last Post: DeaD_EyE
  list digit into number Voldyy 2 1,523 Jul-10-2022, 06:13 PM
  How to remove extra space from output list? longmen 3 1,772 May-05-2022, 11:04 PM
Last Post: longmen
  How to fix list index out of range longmen 26 5,888 Apr-27-2022, 05:46 PM
Question Python - List - Int List sophi 8 2,532 Apr-21-2022, 07:55 PM
Last Post: sophi