Python Forum
matplotlib for better waveform display
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
matplotlib for better waveform display
Hi,
I'm trying to use matplotlib for audio waveforms to duplicate some of the features of Audacity. The two things I like are:
1. a moving line over the wave-form as the audio plays, associating position with sound
2. real-time graphing, revealing graph at the same time as the associated audio plays.

Graphing chunks in python is slow (bordering on slower than the audio), so I don't want to use python to play and graph chunk by chunk. Matplotlib graphs whole files nice and fast but I can't found matplotlib documentation that discusses either a "slow-motion plot" or a moving position line over a current graph.

My next efforts will focus on getting #1 by plotting a line on a second transparent layer above the graph but I welcome any informed suggestions as to how that might work or what's a better approach.
As for #2, I'm completely in the dark and would appreciate any suggestions on how to achieve it.
Thanks for the brain cycles,

Jeff

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How to display <IPython.core.display.HTML object>? pythopen 3 45,708 May-06-2023, 08:14 AM
Last Post: pramod08728
  Matplotlib: How do I convert Dates from Excel to use in Matplotlib JaneTan 1 3,162 Mar-11-2021, 10:52 AM
Last Post: buran
Information Unable to display joystick's value from Python onto display box MelfoyGray 2 2,173 Nov-11-2020, 02:23 AM
Last Post: MelfoyGray