Python Forum
min() function in iterable index
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
min() function in iterable index
Hi,
For a choice of 4 letters (a, b, c, d) for example, a sequence of letters is displayed, arranged as follows:
Output:
aaaaaaa abbbbba abcccba abcdcba abcccba abbbbba aaaaaaa
with this code:

alphabet =['a','b','c','d','e','f','g','h','i','j','k','l','m','n','o','p','q','r','s','t','u','v','w','x','y','z']

choice =int(input())

size =choice *2 -1
line =0
for _ in range(size):
      column =0
      for _ in range(size):
            print(alphabet[min(min(line, size -1 -line), min(column, size -1 -column))], end ='')
            column +=1
      line +=1
I like this approach but I can't quite grasp the use of the min () function, the mechanism escapes me completely in this program.
Could someone please explain to me how the min() function works in this case?
min() just selects the lowest number from a sequence. max() does the same but for the largest. So, min(2, 5, 6, 1) will return 1. max(2, 5, 6, 1) will return 6.
Thank you but I know that the min() function return the most lowest element from a sequence.
My question is about the use of this function in a iterable index and in that form :

alphabet[min(min(line, size -1 -line), min(column, size -1 -column))]
Where min () of min (line, size -1 -line) and min (column, size -1 -column) allows to display in the example (n =4):

a(n2 -1)
a, b(n2 -1), a
a, b, c(n2 -1), b, a
a, b, c, d(n2 -1), c, b, a
a, b, c(n2 -1), b, a
a, b(n2 -1), a
a(n2 -1)

I can't understand the de-incrementing and reversal system of this algorithm.
I don't see how it works and I would like someone to explain it to me.
When I run your program I don't get output on separate lines. Using choice = 4, all my 7 character sequences appear on the same line.

Things became clear to me when I rewrote the program like this:
alphabet =['a','b','c','d','e','f','g','h','i','j','k','l','m','n','o','p','q','r','s','t','u','v','w','x','y','z'] 
choice =int(input('Enter something '))
size =choice *2 -1
line =0
for line in range(size):
    for column in range(size):
        index = min(line, size-line-1, column, size-column-1)
        print(line, column, size-line-1, size-column-1, index,)
        # print(alphabet[index], end ='')
I have no idea of the purpose of this program, but how it does it is fun.

min(x, size-x-1) computes the "distance" from x to the end of x's range. For size = 7, the "distance" values are 0, 1, 2, 3, 3, 2, 1, 0. The "distance" value limits which letters can be chosen. When the distance is zero (start or end of range), the only available letter is a (alphabet[0]). When the distance is 1, the letter can be a or b. So the choices of letter are [a, ab, abc, abcd, abcd, abc, ab, a]

Next we have the interplay of list and column. since list is the outer loop, list limits which letters are "available" to column. When the list distance is zero, the column distance is ignored (poor column!). This is why the first and last lines are all a's. When the list distance is 1, the column can pick a or b so we get ab...ba. When line is 2, column can pick a, b and c so we get abc...cba.

Can you tell me what this program is supposed to do?
Thanks a lot. Clap
It's actually quite simple,

print(alphabet[min(min(line, size -1 -line), min(column, size -1 -column))], end ='')
displays in the sequence, the element of the array corresponding to its index equal to the minimum of the coordinates (x1, x2) and (y1, y2), whose intersection constitutes the location of the element to be displayed.

Quote:When I run your program I don't get output on separate lines. Using choice = 4, all my 7 character sequences appear on the same line.
Sorry I forgot a print() in the loop.

Quote:Can you tell me what this program is supposed to do?
It's a generator of target.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Variable for the value element in the index function?? Learner1 8 551 Jan-20-2024, 09:20 PM
Last Post: Learner1
  Index Function not recognized in Python 3 Peter_B_23 1 1,118 Jan-08-2023, 04:52 AM
Last Post: deanhystad
Question how to solve `'TypeError: 'int' object is not iterable`? netanelst 2 1,524 May-24-2022, 12:03 PM
  Trying to understand how isinstance(values, collections.Iterable) work. quazirfan 7 4,098 Aug-10-2021, 08:10 AM
Last Post: snippsat
  Cannot unpack non-iterable NoneType object, i would like to ask for help on this. Jadiac 3 8,819 Oct-18-2020, 02:11 PM
Last Post: Jadiac
  subprogram issues: cannot unpack non-iterable function object error djwilson0495 13 5,881 Aug-20-2020, 05:53 PM
  Function to return list of all the INDEX values of a defined ndarray? pjfarley3 2 1,919 Jul-10-2020, 04:51 AM
Last Post: pjfarley3
  Why the result of "extended iterable unpacking" with set() is unpredictable? zohanlin 2 2,018 Jun-29-2020, 10:30 AM
Last Post: zohanlin
  TypeError: 're.Match' object is not iterable charlesauspicks 1 11,493 May-25-2020, 06:14 AM
Last Post: bowlofred
  function/nonetype object is not iterable nanok66 5 3,969 May-08-2020, 07:39 PM
Last Post: nanok66