Python Forum
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Forget about PEP 8
I know, but you seem to like intricate detail.
yes i do, but obfuscated code can be fun. lisp never is fun.

and today i have been trying to pep8-ize some of my code
Tradition is peer pressure from dead people

What do you call someone who speaks three languages? Trilingual. Two languages? Bilingual. One language? American.
I think I agree with you, but if I have to work with it again, I'll make myself enjoy it.
I think I have one more dance with it for the final lilypond converter. I'm not
happy with the one I originally wrote.
(Mar-08-2017, 05:17 AM)Skaperen Wrote: lisp never is fun.

Lisp is never fun if you think in C++. Lisp is incredible if you think in Lisp.
Craig "Ichabod" O'Brien - xenomind.com
I wish you happiness.
Recommended Tutorials: BBCode, functions, classes, text adventures
(Mar-10-2017, 02:01 AM)ichabod801 Wrote:
(Mar-08-2017, 05:17 AM)Skaperen Wrote: lisp never is fun.

Lisp is never fun if you think in C++. Lisp is incredible if you think in Lisp.
i think in asm!

What do you call someone who speaks three languages? Trilingual. Two languages? Bilingual. One language? American.
I used it way back. Don't forget I started back in the 60's. There wasn't a lot to choose from, most
serious stuff was written in assembler BAL, Easycoder and such. Lisp was actually a pretty good language
considering it first emerged in 1958. The only other high level language that I can remember was fortran.
It too had it's peculiarities, what with starting letter indicating real or integer. I will never forget wiring an
entire program on a dozen plug in wiring boards.

You would run a deck of (punched) cards (I seem to recall 120 characters per card max) with one board
(program) plugged in, punch out a new deck, maybe sort the deck, and repeat the process for each board
in the entire process.

The output devices were actually quite advanced for the time. Amazingly fast line printers hammering out rows
of 132 characters from a spinning cylinder one row of a single character and filling in the others in one rotation.

In social circles, if you told people that you were an IBM (all computers were IBM's whether made by IBM or not),
they would walk away from you as soon as they could.
i started in 1971 after a brief exposure to COBOL in 1969 with no computer access,   Focal was my first, then PDP-8 machine code (octal is fun), then i got access to a 360/44 and a 370/195 (later a 360/75) and did Fortran followed by macro assembler.  i had fun with the macros over the years including developing structured programming macros that i made heavy use of.  then unix came along in the mid-1980s.  i was always doing weird stuff like lower case EBCDIC job names punched in the JCL cards ... making it harder for the ops to cancel my jobs.  then VM/CMS came along in the mid-1970s.  i thought Rexx was cool back then.  today i think it sucks.  i'd like to see Python back-ported through a time machine.

Octal was common. Actually, the registers were grouped in threes, (on the Honeywell machines) so binary equivalents of
octal numbers were entered a 5 was 2nd and 4th fingers. The Honeywell 1000 (I worked for Honeywell)
had buttons on the top where you bootstrapped the computer. You had to set the address register,
the data register, the program counter. Then enter a PCB instruction 65 0100 01 02 and then start.

I can remember that, but not where I put my coffee cup.

I had my dance with alter to proceed to (Procedure division) but not for long. Worked on pdp-11 that had
RSX-11 and VT-100 terminals. I think a pdp-8 once or twice. I forgot about Focal, never used it anyway.

JCL wasn't bad, but Hated epsy (I think that was the nick for EBCDIC). Also the 360 was a workhorse.

Strange I forget what the operating system was for Honeywell, and I worked there the longest.

2:30 A.M. Here, time to quit!