Python Forum
modifying the origin of an iterator
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
modifying the origin of an iterator
suppose i call iter() to create an iterator from a large list. if i subsequently modify that list, will that impact that iterator or is an iterator from iter() completely independent, such as by making a copy of the origin object passed in the call to iter()?

based on readings of the python documentation, it appears that the data object is used, but it does not indicate if that is a copy or not.
Tradition is peer pressure from dead people

What do you call someone who speaks three languages? Trilingual. Two languages? Bilingual. One language? American.
There is no copy. Why would python build a copy if it doesn't know that you need one?
>>> L = list(range(10))
>>> it = iter(L)
>>> next(it)
>>> del L[1]
>>> next(it)
i can't think of a reason. but that (my inability to think of a reason) doesn't mean that a developer didn't think of one.

it would be helpful if documentation indicated that the origin object should not be modified for the duration of using the iterator.

What do you call someone who speaks three languages? Trilingual. Two languages? Bilingual. One language? American.
It does!
documentation Wrote:Code that modifies a collection while iterating over that same collection can be tricky to get right. Instead, it is usually more straight-forward to loop over a copy of the collection or to create a new collection
i don't see this in the reference document. a tutorial is not organized for looking stuff up, so i don't go there.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  testing if an iterator is empty Skaperen 9 8,982 Feb-25-2022, 02:31 AM
Last Post: Skaperen
  multiplying an iterator Skaperen 9 3,257 Oct-12-2021, 07:07 PM
  iterating an iterator by one step Skaperen 0 1,580 Feb-09-2021, 08:38 PM