Python Forum
more on the ubuntu/pypi packaging problems
Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 2.5 Average
more on the ubuntu/pypi packaging problems
1. ubuntu has included many pypi packages in order to resolve dependencies of some non-pypi packages in its repository without running pip.

2. pypi packages come in 2 formats (egg and distutils). the ones in distutils format do not include a file that lists the files in the package. see #4

3. pip did not extract a list of files at the time it installed them in order to generate a true list of files. so those in distutils format had no record of installed files once the installation was complete. pip cannot uninstall these packages.

4. there is a list of files for distutils packages that pip apparently does not know about or know how to find. see the output of the find /usr -print|fgrep dist-info/RECORD command. these files are CSV format with field 1 being a path relative to the installation target, which is the parent directory of the package-version.dist-info subdirectory.
Tradition is peer pressure from dead people

What do you call someone who speaks three languages? Trilingual. Two languages? Bilingual. One language? American.
i have manged to clear out enough related packages and newly install the latest version from a common source (pypi) enough to get my cloud backs to apparently work. i was able to fully list everything in my backup (800000+ files) and a new backup increment is running now (originally it would crash on a module not found error or a syntax error very early before anything went over the network). i will later try to recover a few select files. if the recover test also works then i will happily be camping.
Tradition is peer pressure from dead people

What do you call someone who speaks three languages? Trilingual. Two languages? Bilingual. One language? American.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  ubuntu video problems darter 3 4,225 Mar-19-2018, 12:59 AM
Last Post: darter