Python Forum
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
my wish
my wish is that there was a choice of forum software written in python.  with one exception here, everything is in Pigs Helping Pigs.  i am keeping my eyes open for good ways to make web sites in python which looks to be this though there are a number of choices here. any inputs?
Tradition is peer pressure from dead people

What do you call someone who speaks three languages? Trilingual. Two languages? Bilingual. One language? American.
Django would be better for forum software than Flask.
Recommended Tutorials:
You can find some discussion on that in the old forum thread where we discussed where to switch to.

I know in the python-forum.de community there were some guys also unhappy with the php software used and started programming a decent python alternative. Also ubuntuusers.de uses a forum/wiki/blog mix written in python.

It takes a lot of time to perfectly mimic all the functionality which has been growing in the phpbb etc for more than a decade. Also many people can think of better use for their time than rebuilding an established software in another language.
Im pretty sure the majority of us would be OK with switching to a forum based forum we created....if it has been tested and stable. we could easily set up a sub directory to be the testing ground. 

However we have played this song before, and it ended quite fast. Most likely due to Kebaps comment
Quote:It takes a lot of time to perfectly mimic all the functionality which has been growing in the phpbb etc for more than a decade. Also many people can think of better use for their time than rebuilding an established software in another language.
Recommended Tutorials:
(Sep-28-2016, 10:15 AM)metulburr Wrote: Django would be better for forum software than Flask.
No should be no reason that Django should be better at at making forum software.
FlaskBB is getting better and in faster rate than DjangoBB(which has very few updates the last years).

Both(Django,Flask) are of course good,why it success is time spend at the at the project.
Writing new forum software is lot of work.
Django forces the way you doing the app.
With Flask all is in your hands.
Both are good.

This can be done in Pyramid, Tornado or Twisted. As I am familiar enough with all of them.
"As they say in Mexico 'dosvidaniya'. That makes two vidaniyas."
https://freedns.afraid.org
(Sep-29-2016, 10:38 AM)wavic Wrote: Django forces the way you doing the app.
With Flask all is in your hands.
Both are good.

This can be done in Pyramid, Tornado or Twisted. As I am familiar enough with all of them.

i hear Twisted is great for network stuff.  how is it at making a website?  right now i have a static site, mostly in RST, with a script to export it from the repository, scan all files for .rst ones and convert those to .html, then upload everything to Amazon S3, where i do static hosting for now.  i am going to need some dynamic stuff, so an instance running something like Django, or Flask, or whatever could cover the dynamic needs (buy service), which will definitely include some custom backend stuff to build the runtime non-sql database that controls (activates purchased services) my product app (a machine image with py scripts that run openvpn).

What do you call someone who speaks three languages? Trilingual. Two languages? Bilingual. One language? American.
(Oct-01-2016, 06:19 AM)Skaperen Wrote:
(Sep-29-2016, 10:38 AM)wavic Wrote: Django forces the way you doing the app. With Flask all is in your hands. Both are good. This can be done in Pyramid, Tornado or Twisted. As I am familiar enough with all of them.
i hear Twisted is great for network stuff. how is it at making a website? right now i have a static site, mostly in RST, with a script to export it from the repository, scan all files for .rst ones and convert those to .html, then upload everything to Amazon S3, where i do static hosting for now. i am going to need some dynamic stuff, so an instance running something like Django, or Flask, or whatever could cover the dynamic needs (buy service), which will definitely include some custom backend stuff to build the runtime non-sql database that controls (activates purchased services) my product app (a machine image with py scripts that run openvpn).
Hmm! Twisted is a brilliant piece of software but it scares me. I am not a network guy and the documentation is not just e few pages. I need to go deeper with protocol lear, HTTP in details before messing with Twisted. I am in the same situation with Scapy.

Anyway, here is a good starting point.
i do know systems and networking stuff. so i guess Twisted would just be learning more python for me.

I can use it, no problem with that. I can read the docs and just use it.
But I am not happy with this way. Doing something I don't understand how it works and why.