Python Forum
namespaces when defining a class
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
namespaces when defining a class
apparently, the global name-space is not the space where the method names exist. there appear to be as many as 4 name-spaces involved. there are 2 created just by defining the class: the global space and the class space. then when an object instance is created from this class, there are 2 more name spaces. each object instance has 2 name-spaces, just for it. one of these is a replica of the class name-space and a reference to it is given to methods as the 1st argument, commonly named "self". the other is the usual local name-space which is created at invocation of a method. my curiosity is about the global name-space. the class name-space is also of some interest. the big thing i wonder about is can information be shared between instances in either of these? what if i define a dictionary there? will i be able to store values and object there an fetch them back out, later, in a different invocation and/or a different instance?
Tradition is peer pressure from dead people

What do you call someone who speaks three languages? Trilingual. Two languages? Bilingual. One language? American.
Members of the class namespace are shared by all the instances, just like static members in C++ for example, as long as you access them for reading. But if you write a.x when a is an instance of A, it will create an member in the instance's namespace
>>> class A:
...     x = 'spam'
>>> a = A()
>>> b = A()
>>> a.x
'spam'
>>> a.x = 'bar'
>>> a.x
'bar'
>>> b.x
'spam'
what if a dictionary already exists in the class namespace? can i add a new member to that dictionary? i don't consider that to be "just reading", although technically, it is another namespace and i am just reading a reference to it from the class namespace. i do this in globals, too (create a dictionary or list there to easily put stuff there). the thing is, documentation that says "for reading only" could turn people away when they are looking for a solution that solves.
Tradition is peer pressure from dead people

What do you call someone who speaks three languages? Trilingual. Two languages? Bilingual. One language? American.
Of course, using a container in the class' namespace is a good way to share a place to read and write for all the instances.