Python Forum
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
necrobumping
I was having an argument with someone the other day about necrobumping (posting in old threads). I was pro-necrobumping.

We havent had a lot of sway either way on that. I have seen a few people tell others to not bring old threads back to life.

Personally i like necro bumping. One example of the conflict of forcing out necrobumping by locking threads after X timeframe is reddit. I have often came to a reddit thread that had outdated information and wanted to post on it to update the method, but after 1 year you cannot. I like when i come across a thread of something im unfamiliar with and new post years later says "this is the new method". As i wasnt even aware i was reading an older version/content.

However that is completely different than hijacking/or asking a new question on an old thread. 

And i was wondering what this community thought of necrobumping?
Recommended Tutorials:
I don't buy a new book every time I want to revisit a subject. Why shouldn't the same rule apply to posts so long as the
posted information was valid?
I think there's a high bar for it being a good idea, but I agree, if information is out of date then it shouldn't be locked in with the old stuff.
(May-18-2017, 04:39 PM)Larz60+ Wrote: I don't buy a new book every time I want to revisit a subject. Why shouldn't the same rule apply to posts so long as the posted information was valid?
I'm having a hard time telling which side you're on here, but books can't be easily updated, whereas digital content can.
Even if the information is old, there are a lot of people who uses old versions of software or libraries. Or they are not allowed to install something new. They may have questions.

If anyways the topic is in the database why not to be active so one could update it if have to
"As they say in Mexico 'dosvidaniya'. That makes two vidaniyas."
https://freedns.afraid.org
What comes to mind here for me is Java stuff. I often have to look it up for work. I want to know the best way to do something. The answer is drastically different between Java 7 and Java 8. While I appreciate not everyone is on the newest stuff, I would rather the old thing get updated and have both bits of information, than accidentally use older stuff.
Quote:I'm having a hard time telling which side you're on here, but books can't be easily updated, whereas digital content can.
in agreement with metulburr
As long as the new posts are still on topic, I have no issues.
I wouldn't mind necroing a thread to add updated information, but that's not the type of necroing I tend to see. What I tend to see is people asking a similar but slightly different question. That should go in it's own thread.

But if we're going to allow necroing for updated information, that seems to imply that we have a responsibility to go back through old threads and update information.
Craig "Ichabod" O'Brien - xenomind.com
I wish you happiness.
Recommended Tutorials: BBCode, functions, classes, text adventures
I'm fairly anti-necro much for the same reasons as Ichabod. In the case of updates I think I would still prefer a new thread/conversation that links back to the old rather than necroing.