Python Forum
Poll: What to do?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Keep the notifications
20.00%
2 20.00%
Get rid of the notifications altogether
0%
0 0%
Get rid of the notifications globally but allow /activity.php
0%
0 0%
Need to try it out before i change vote to another option
40.00%
4 40.00%
No opinion
40.00%
4 40.00%
Total 10 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
notifications
Quote:The only problem I can see, is that eventually the header will be so busy with random report-y things that it'll just confuse new people.
Wow i just caught what you were talking about...I thought you were talking about the drop down box from this plugin.

Yeah there is a limit to how many we can have. There is the option to condense them all into a drop box themselves. Some forums have numerous drop boxes in this area for so many links. https://ubuntuforums.org/ is one i can think of. Im not sure if we would ever have enough links to even do that. 

I think its more of wide variety of options. The default myBB only had new posts and todays posts. My discussions, unread posts, and unanswered posts were all requested by users. You can acquire all these also from the search function at the top link, but these are more of a quick link to the most used. 

I (personally) like having a lot of options on how to search the forums (and on quick links). Some people like one way and some people like another. Some days i care more about answering threads with 0 posts, some days i dont.

As for confusing new people i would think they find it out themselves by experimenting. Most new people only care about their own threads and will find a way to get to their thread one way or another. Of course there is always the chance they actually read the help docs 
Recommended Tutorials:
When I check it now, I see lots of entries about people loggin in and out. I don't really need these, can we remove them completely?

(Oct-19-2016, 08:29 PM)metulburr Wrote: easier to get to the post in question (most likely the latest post). The post ID, not the beginning of the thread, which is what every other link at the top sends you to.

When you click not on the name of the thread but instead on the link at "Last post", you will get to the first unread post directly. It works in most places
oh wow, i didnt even know that the arrow was a link Doh

Quote:When I check it now, I see lots of entries about people loggin in and out. I don't really need these, can we remove them completely?
I can check on it.

I think the idea of the plugin was to get a timeline of guest activating accounts, users logging in/out, threads being created/replied to. I was initially thinking it for only admins/mods as more info, but since it does not appear to output mod logs, IP, or other sensitive info, i thought it would be interesting for everyone to use.

If people end up not liking it...i will most likely keep it, but remove the notifications from the header, and link /activity.php in forum stats.
Recommended Tutorials:
Found more lines which keep kind of non-news to me:

* Guest created thread 1 hour ago
* Guest activated their account 1 hour ago

Which guest? Which thread?
(Oct-20-2016, 11:20 AM)metulburr Wrote: oh wow, i didnt even know that the arrow was a link Doh

You're welcome. It's in most forums somehow

Quote:I think the idea of the plugin was to get a timeline of

No its only a recent few, not too many, and the uninteresting ones keep scrolling away the more interesting ones
update on this plugin?

I find personally that i dont use it. Does anyone use it? Care to reanalyze your vote?
Recommended Tutorials:
(Oct-20-2016, 05:06 AM)Kebap Wrote: When I check it now, I see lots of entries about people loggin in and out. I don't really need these, can we remove them completely?

Unchanged
I never used it. I had forgotten it was there.

I still have no real opinion, but my inner cranky old man thinks the less this place is like Facebook, the better.
Craig "Ichabod" O'Brien - xenomind.com
I wish you happiness.
Recommended Tutorials: BBCode, functions, classes, text adventures
Yeah, I still don't really see any benefit of having it. It isn't hurting anything, though, so...

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Not getting email notifications CynthiaMoore 4 3,450 Apr-07-2021, 09:01 AM
Last Post: Naheed
  No email notifications tonycstech 8 4,467 Dec-30-2019, 09:35 PM
Last Post: kamaleon