Python Forum
os.system doesn't generate same result as shell?
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
os.system doesn't generate same result as shell?
HI, I am a newbie of python and tried to use mixed python and shell code in my python script to achieve my goal. Therefore I use quite a lot of os.system() and/or subprocess.call(). I found that for some commands, the python generate different output from run shell directly. For example:

I have a source text file sample.txt which has lines ended with ":". I'd like to combine this kind of line with the next line. Since I know how to do this easily using vim, like "vim -e -c '%s/:\n/:/' -c 'wq' sample.txt", in my python code, I tried to os.system("vim -e -c '%s/:\n/:/' -c 'wq' sample.txt"), but the substitution did not happen. It looks like the "\n" is not recognized (it works when '%s/:/:ABC/'). Same behavior for subprocess.call("vim -e -c '%s/:\n/:/' -c 'wq' sample.txt", shell=True).

So my question: is os.system(shell_cmd) supposed to generate same result as running the shell_cmd directly? Any way to get around the above problem, yet still use vim instead of new python code?

My environment: python 2.7, bash under linux.

Thanks.
--Karl
It's probably because a newline character, rather than the two \n characters, are being passed to vim. Instead of
os.system("vim -e -c '%s/:\n/:/' -c 'wq' sample.txt")
try
os.system(r"vim -e -c '%s/:\n/:/' -c 'wq' sample.txt")
This is called a "raw" string. Essentially, instead of Python helpfully turning the \n into a newline for you, it leaves those two characters as-is.

You'll probably need to deal with this quite a bit in the workflow you currently have. An alternative that you might like is something like
with open("sample.txt") as f:
  contents = f.read()

with open("sample.txt", "w") as f:
  f.write(contents.replace(":\n", ""))
(Note that vim may very well be smart enough to not load the entire file into memory. My Python here is naive.)

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Can a program execute code in iPython shell and get result? deanhystad 3 1,726 Jun-17-2022, 03:45 AM
Last Post: Larz60+
  Difference between os.system("clear") and os.system("cls") chmsrohit 7 16,608 Jan-11-2021, 06:30 PM
Last Post: ykumar34
Question Difference between Python's os.system and Perl's system command Agile741 13 6,802 Dec-02-2019, 04:41 PM
Last Post: Agile741
  running python script from shell invoked with os.system("x-terminal-emulator -e /bin/ markhaus 2 3,069 Feb-21-2019, 11:55 PM
Last Post: markhaus
  Why doesn't this work in the Python Shell? diemildefreude 10 10,770 Oct-28-2016, 08:27 AM
Last Post: Skaperen